Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Best approach for 4 big NL ring games at once

Iv started playing NL 100,200,400 4 tables at once. When I play this many at a time I have a hard time keeping track of opponents so I almost never know the style of play I am up against. I cant factor in my opponents previous actions into my decision. Should I just revert back to ABC poker By the book tight, bet when i flop it check when i dont only play vs big raises with huge hands etc.

For example Last night I ran into a situation where if i had more information I would have made a better decision.
Preflop.

I triple the BB with AKo 2 callers + me see flop. They check to me i bet half the pot on a 10.7.3 flop I bet little over half the pot, I was raised minimum amout. After finishing soem hands one the other table I came back to this situation and was stumped so I folded. I though to my self jeez they could come over the top of me ever time Id have to fold cause i know nothing.
is this non observant style enough to beat these games? Your thoughts would be helpfull [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Best approach for 4 big NL ring games at once

at low limits it not much of an issue, are u playing sh? Higher up is all about reads. I still manage to easily play 4 sh, 5/10 nl tables on party. The most important aspect i'd say of being able to multi table nl is being able to read flop texture, put your opponent on hands based on position and how they bet and being able to decide immediately how profitable a situation you are in. Obviously you are only looking for profitable situations, you can by large ignore the marginal ones, and its easy enough in no limit to pick up pots just by reading flop texture.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:53 PM

Get pokertracker if you can't read your opponents well. It will give you a better idea about how everybody plays without having to pay much attention.

if you don't want to do this, I recommend either going back to one or two tables, or full ring games.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:03 PM

I use to 4-table NL but have recently cut down to 2. This was actually in response to post on this site in which a 2+2er(forget which) said that doing this helped improve his game. I gave it a try and I have found that it has greatly improved my game. I am making better reads and better plays and more importantly I feel that I have learned a lot by focusing in on 2 tables rather than 4. Beacuse of this my hourly rate has actually increased and I'm having more fun.
Doctaprofit: [ QUOTE ]
I still manage to easily play 4 sh, 5/10 nl tables on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt this for an instant but, realize that this is not the case for everyone. I suggest giving 2 tables a try for a while especially if you are moving up to new limits.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-18-2005, 04:13 PM

I used to play 8 NL tables, i can play 4 on autopilot relatively easily.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:55 PM

I can handle 2 tables at once preaty easly but poker turns into a very ABC game when you have 4 tables running. When I sit at a BIG NL game that live I can only focus on 1 hand at a time with players I play with every day so I can make great reads on my opponents this is at the thousand dollar level where the ring games still have good action (live). I dont know if I could ever come close to the level of play i perform at at these game when I have 4 tables running at once. Should I experiment with this at NL 100? or is that game too strong.

And a question about your 4 tabling 5/10. If you dont mind sharing what kind of hourly wage are you making per table when you play 4 at once and was it signifigantly better than it was when you played 8?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 PM

I think it's easier to play 4 tables of 400NL. There are fewer opponents to keep track of. Once you play a couple thousand hands you know the regulars pretty well.