Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Bad use of \"Stop and Go\"?

Nice post, Lloyd.

But your example of holding a pair of tens... I'd point out a stop-n-go can be done with any two cards. In fact, I'm more likely to use the stop-n-go if I *don't* have anything.

Also, I never attempt a stop-n-go in a multiplayer situation--only heads-up. Maybe it can work, but I would think it would reduce the effectiveness of the play substantially.

In general, I use a stop-n-go when I'm in the blinds with a very small stack*, feel the raiser is likely on a steal (or a late limper just wants a peek at the flop), I don't have any folding equity preflop, and I don't particularly care for my hand. If I have something as good as TT, I'm pushing, as I think I've likely got the best hand and want to bet when I know he'll call.

I'm less likely to use the stop-n-go if I believe the other player is strong.

-Z

*Especially if my stack is so small that losing these chips would significantly cripple me (e.g. blinds are 400/800 and I'm in the BB with t1200 total, the CO limps, and it's folded to me; or blinds are 150/300, I'm in the BB with t850 total, folded to aggressive button who min. raises).