Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Eddie Curry, a bad heart, and mandatory DNA testing

Som people are really spooked out about this situation, but i'm not big into sci-fi and "big brother" type philosophies so I dunno.

Eddie Curry is a 22 year old, 6'11 center/power forward who played for the NBA's Chicago Bulls. Near the end of last season he was diagnosed with arythmia (an irregular heartbeat) and an enlarged heart. The Bulls have not cleared Eddie to play since the diagnosis. Curry exected to sign a multi-million dollar long term deal this offseason, but that didn't materialize for obvious reasons.

Instead, the Chicago Bulls are the only team to offer him a contract: one year, 5 million dollars. But this contract is contingent on Eddie submitting to a DNA test as part of his physical.

The DNA tests will purportedly look only for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy , a condition where the muscles of a heart thicken in the absence of an apprarent cause, such as high blood pessure. These thickened heart muscles are also abnormally structured on a microspic level and can interfere with the heart's natural electrical system, which can lead to disorganised electrical impulses that generate fast or erratic heart rhythms. These fast or erratic heartbeats("arythmia") can cause sudden death, as was the case with basketball players reggie lewis (an nba player diagnosed with arythmia who chose to continue to play after being cleared by his personal docotors, although other physicians diagreed) and hank gathers, a college basketball player.

Although the cause of Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy is uncertain, it is believed to be an inheirited condition in a majority of cases and recent research has identified 6 abnormal genes in families with a history of Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy. The DNA test will supposedly look for these 6 genes.

Eddie Curry has so far refused to submit to the test on the grounds that it invades his privacy, is not required by the collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the player's union, is an inconclusive test, and will lead to a slipperly sope into some "Gattica" like world where slobs like me will be required to submit to DNA testing for all sort of beleived to be inheirited conditions, like alcoholism, before getting a job.

While that argument may be getting a bit ahead of itself, the Bulls are potentially investing 5.1 million dollars and they can't get the contract insured, so if Eddie can't play they eat the 5.1 million. If the Bulls clear Curry to play and dies or is otherwise injured as a result of his heart condition the Bulls may also have some legal exposure. Anyway, its interesting, and I don't know how I feel about this.

Another link
Old 09-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Eddie Curry, a bad heart, and mandatory DNA testing

They're allowed to ask and he's allowed to say no. No one is at fault here.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Another P.O.V. Worth a read.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch...t-greg291.html
Old 09-29-2005, 01:50 PM

well yeah, but that's not the issue. This isn't a fault thing, at least not yet. Its a what should we let employers do, and who takes the fall if the bulls back down and a disaster happens? Can or should the Bulls take a hardline "dna test or no contract approach" if Curry maintain his current stance is more what's up. NBA physicals are October 3rd, so a dealine approaches. The bulls probably back down, or if not lose in arbitration, but the arbitration is merely the resolution of a dispute over the boundaries of the collective bargianing agreement, not the "right" and "wrong" bigger picture here.

If the nets can refuse to sign shareef abdul rahim because they didn't approve of his health, should the bulls be able to do the same? Should testing of a ligament's strength or a muscle group's health be viewed as different than a test of person's health as manifested by their DNA? If you really wanna go out there, ponder the fact that significant genetic abnormalities might fall under the purview of americans with disabilities act, so arguably, some dna defects might make someone a member of a protected group whose employer could be required to accomodate and not discriminate against them. anyway, I don't have answers, just thoughts, no more coffee for me today
Old 09-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Great posts J.R.

I'm not sure I have any answers on this either, but I am certainly interested in this.

As a Bulls fan, I can see how they would want the DNA test done. But even as a fan who wants best for the team I don't see why Eddie Curry should have to submit to that. If I was in his shoes I would probably say no too.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Yeah, its a tricky issue. I don't think the Bulls will (publically) take a hard line dna-test or no contract approach b/c that would be a PR nightmare, for all the Gattaca and privacy reasons you mentioned. But, sure, they're clearly worried about it and I doubt they sign him long term b/c, among other things, of the heart condition.

I don't think this will be such a huge deal though because this seems like just Isaiah's kind of player. He's not very good, doesn't seem motivated and could die at any second. If that doesn't say LONG-TERM CONTRACT FROM THE KNICKS then I don't know what does.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, its a tricky issue. I don't think the Bulls will (publically) take a hard line dna-test or no contract approach b/c that would be a PR nightmare, for all the Gattaca and privacy reasons you mentioned. But, sure, they're clearly worried about it and I doubt they sign him long term b/c, among other things, of the heart condition.

I don't think this will be such a huge deal though because this seems like just Isaiah's kind of player. He's not very good, doesn't seem motivated and could die at any second. If that doesn't say LONG-TERM CONTRACT FROM THE KNICKS then I don't know what does.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the Bulls are pretty much already taking a very hard-line and very public stance on this issue. The lawyers are buzzing...