Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 05:11 PM

Default I hate 3-betting form the sb

In both 5-10, and to a lesser extent 10-20, I dislike 3-betting stuff other than pairs and big aces (it depends on the raiser but AJo-ATs on average) v the typical raiser.

The big deal here is stuff like medium aces, KQo/s-KTo/s, QJs, JTs, etc. I call a lot from the sb, especially with suited stuff, so its not like I think am too tight. But how much do i give up? I think the games are loose and my image otherwise is OK and I call enough so I am not getting run-over.

I realize there is value to getting headup but I just don't like being out of position with the onus on me and a questionable showdown hand. Plus I always feel like there are often loose guys on my left (I know I have a seat selection leak- I look too much right) in these 5-10 and 10-20 games, so its a big 3-way pot and my hand blows a lot of the time when I do 3-bet this stuff and when I flop good there are limited options.

Anyway, its easier to get away with at 5-10 and less so at 10-20 and I feel like I am playing on auto-pilot so do I need to shake this up so I can learn how to really play and not just win money from tards. I am looking at lots of other stuff in my game, maybe I will bombard the forum with posts later on but if anyone has ideas here let me know. thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: I hate 3-betting form the sb

I still cant figure out which limits you play. But that is not so important.

I think there is a huge incentive to pay 1 more sb and get rid of BB. I really do...some hands you just want to get HU and thats that.

Lets take a hand like A8o. Against a random hand and I am being liberal to assume that the button has a random hand, but they often do, the hand is roughly a 60% favorite.
Against 2 random hands you equity drops to 42%.

That is the least important factor, but still a factor. Secondly ur a better post flop player than most and will be able to make smarter decisions, but ultimately if button open raises w/anything, then you have a nice showdown worthy hand. That is $$.

Thirdly button will eventually get annoyed with you 3-betting all the time and lay off a bit, leaving you to take care of BB on your own. That is $$.

Fourthly if the table does not break, if button begins to raise less frequently, perhaps he is raising w/better hands. You can now stop 3betting marginal hands. That is $.

There are quite a few other factors, things like how loose bb is, etc etc. But overall I believe getting it HU is great with medium aces; KQ, KJ. JTo is also a favorite against a random hand, but by much less and your showdown value drops dramatically. There is probably merit to 3-betting that too, because you might get paid off more frequently if a J or T hits, than if an A hits...but that is another discussion for another time.

Sorry for rambling.