Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 PM

Default top card pairs on river - villain pushes

Me and BB have some history. We play both a bit LAGgy, but I am more of a LAG than him. Nonetheless he is capable of moves, as semibluffs and I have even seen stonecold bluffs from him when he sensed weakness or a perfect scare card arose. Not to get the wrong impression of him: usually when he is in big pots, he has a strong hand, but mixes it up often enough to keep me busy.
Often after he gets called on his rare flopmoves, he gives up on turn. In the last orbit I got CRed by him , where he was trippling my bet, like in the hand for discussion. I had nothing, so I folded.
Now he is CRing me again, this time I decided to make a stand...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($172.10)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($195.80)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($347.88)</font>
MP ($364.09)
CO ($165)
Button ($197)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($13) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $21</font>, Hero calls $14.

Turn: ($55) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

River: ($115) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $125</font>, Hero?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: top card pairs on river - villain pushes

Uh, I think I fold flop. What do you think he has?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: top card pairs on river - villain pushes

I understand the temptation to call someone down in this situation, but you have two overs on board. I take it you must have won this and this is a brag post about what a great read you made, but I don't want to call $125 on the river hoping my read is right. If he bet smaller maybe, but not that much. Just tell him nice play and get him later. This is a tilt hand if I ever saw. good job at winning a big pot, but I'm not going ot tell you you made a great play.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 PM

Default RESULTS

Before I get flamed more: this wasn't meant to be a brag post - I lost it and actually I was in BB and villain was UTG.

Recently I am experimenting with LAGing up my game, to get less predictable and to receive more action when I actually hit a hand.

In the current hand I sensed this to be a good flop to try to steal on flop with a stonecold bluff. When he called, I put him at least on a pair, not necessarily TP or better. Any pair could convince him for a probe call, b/c he saw me giving up continuation bets etc. on turn a lot.
The turn card seemed to be a good opportunity for a last barrel. The betsize is about what I would bet a set with on this board.
Initially I planed to give up on river, but I couldn't resist to fire again on this river card.

The last days it seems I am losing a lot with this experiment. I try to pick only good spots and opponents capable of folding and not overdoing it, but still...
I posted this to get some light into the shoes of my opponent. He wasn't a maniac or a hardcore calling station, at least not in the 300 hands before and he can't have the impression that I am totally retarded so I still don't get why he called this one down.
Thanks for your honest opinions.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Once he calls the flop and turn, either he doesn't believe you have a T or he can beat one. I think your FE on the river is very low.