Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Do We Work Too Hard?

[ QUOTE ]
I do think that we generally work too hard primarily because of one stupid fact. We've all bought into the heavily marketed idea that if you accumulate more things, you'll be happier.

Once you have the basic necessities covered, spending more time with loved ones or on a cherished hobby will make you happier than an upgraded car or bigger TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I agree completely.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you have the basic necessities covered, spending more time with loved ones or on a cherished hobby will make you happier than an upgraded car or bigger TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that will make YOU happier. If so, knock yourself out. Just don't presume to tell ME what will make ME happier. Mind your own [censored] business.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Who are you, and why are you stalking me?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 PM

Ignore the troll. You are right about overwork. The worst part of it is that we don't work for ourselves. Take a mortgage to buy a house, a vehicle, and pay for school debts like everybody does, and you will be a wage slave for the next 30 years of your life. The lucky ones enjoy the job they do.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 PM

Thank God for internet poker!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ignore the troll. You are right about overwork. The worst part of it is that we don't work for ourselves. Take a mortgage to buy a house, a vehicle, and pay for school debts like everybody does, and you will be a wage slave for the next 30 years of your life. The lucky ones enjoy the job they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So who *do* you work for? I don't know about you, but nobody forced me to buy a house or a car. What, exactly, is your proposed ideal alternative system?

News flash: survival takes work. Either you have to do it yourself, convince someone else to give you everything, or you have to steal someone else's productivity.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So who *do* you work for? I don't know about you, but nobody forced me to buy a house or a car. What, exactly, is your proposed ideal alternative system?

News flash: survival takes work. Either you have to do it yourself, convince someone else to give you everything, or you have to steal someone else's productivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but I heard that pre-civilisation humans only had to work about a third of the time we do to survive. We are wage slaves and capitalism does 'force' a lot of people into undesirable amounts of work in order to conform to socially acceptable norms. Sure a lot people don't mind being sheep, but I reckon (no proof) the there are a fair few people out there doing something they enjoy, and taking money as a secondary concern (even if they are well paid).

Regards Mack
Old 10-20-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true, but I heard that pre-civilisation humans only had to work about a third of the time we do to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they survived about 1/3 of the time we do. And they were mostly uncomfortable.

[ QUOTE ]
We are wage slaves and capitalism does 'force' a lot of people into undesirable amounts of work in order to conform to socially acceptable norms.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't. Those who do the most valuable work get rewarded.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:18 PM

"No, it doesn't. Those who do the most valuable work get rewarded."

Not so. There are plenty of nurses or teachers or what not who make much less money than a professional athlete. Stay at home mothers do very important work for society by bringing up children, but are not paid.

The fact is, the family unit is the most important part of society, but our economy does not recognize this in a practical way. Children these days are an economic burden, and it is unjust for people to be materially rewarded more than the families who contribute to society by raising good citizens.

To answer your other question, I work for myself through investing and gambling. The problem with our capitalism is that it is not free enough. There should be more small business and less of a tax burden on the individual. At the same time it is right and proper to curtail the rights of individuals or businesses for the common good. Monopolies do not enhance quality of life except for a priveleged few. And government control screws up everything even more so. The vast majority of people in North America are middle class, and it is this class which is most burdened by our economic system. Those not wishing to contribute get a free card through social welfare, and those who are rich have means to extricate themselves from the situation.

As I stated before, the majority of people in our economy, whether they recognize it or not, are wage slaves.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is true, but I heard that pre-civilisation humans only had to work about a third of the time we do to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they survived about 1/3 of the time we do. And they were mostly uncomfortable.

[ QUOTE ]
We are wage slaves and capitalism does 'force' a lot of people into undesirable amounts of work in order to conform to socially acceptable norms.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't. Those who do the most valuable work get rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the first point you are right they lived about 1/3rd of the time we do, and they were most likely uncomfortable.

Your second point is utter nonsense, bin-men and cleaners get paid next to nothing, are you suggesting that work is not important, lets have the cities infested with rats and disease rampant then we'll see what work is important. As Peter666 pointed out professional athletes work is much less important and more highly paid than most.

Regards Mack