Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 06:26 PM

Default A Theoretical Question about Isolationism

What if the United States suddenly agreed to pull all troops out of foreign lands, but also immediately ceased all foreign aid, no matter what the cause?

This would mean no troops in the Middle East, no troops in England, no troops anywhere. All of our military would reside in the U.S.

It would also mean no government aid to tsunami victims or earthquake victims or AIDS victims in Africa. We wouldn't be giving any more money to Israel either.

It would mean that the U.S. became an extreme isolationist nation that would more or less only engage militarily when attacked and would under no circumstances deliver financial aid to any nation.

What do you think this would do for the country? Would it be beneficial? Why or why not?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: A Theoretical Question about Isolationism

If that happened, three things would follow very quickly...

1) Al Qaida would take over the Arab world.

2) The Israelis would get expelled from the region and would need to find a new home

3) Oil would rise to $200 a barrel.

These would probably lead to a worldwide economic depression followed by world war III.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:08 PM

1) Doubt it.

2) Again. They are a nuclear power and the best military in the region. Cutting thier aid would also mean cutting aid to Egypt.

3) This hinges on the first two.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Al Qaida would take over the Arab world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your joking right? How big is Al Qaida's army? I can see them blowing some people up but to think that they would take over the middle east is crazy.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if the United States suddenly agreed to pull all troops out of foreign lands, but also immediately ceased all foreign aid, no matter what the cause?

This would mean no troops in the Middle East, no troops in England, no troops anywhere. All of our military would reside in the U.S.

It would also mean no government aid to tsunami victims or earthquake victims or AIDS victims in Africa. We wouldn't be giving any more money to Israel either.

It would mean that the U.S. became an extreme isolationist nation that would more or less only engage militarily when attacked and would under no circumstances deliver financial aid to any nation.

What do you think this would do for the country? Would it be beneficial? Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

By us stopping aid to Israel would most likely cut down on Terrorism.

I can see it really hurting us if a war did break out in certain parts of the world were we now hold strategic positions.

As far as Aid. I really don't know where or how much aid that we give to other countries. I guess it would cause my war if there was a hugh economic impact.

I guess overall it could cause WWIII somehow or civil war in the U.S. due to economic and political impacts. Who knows it could even bring back the Whig party?

Would this include trade as well?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM

The idea of US isolating itself is so complicated you could, literally, put it into a Sim game that I doubt would ever end. Talk about a domino effect.

Start with the effect this policy would have on our economy.

Oil's been mentioned. We can probably get around that with speed limits no one would observe. Enforced car pooling and use of public transportation. Gas rationing. All-out exploration and drilling in the ANWR, off the coasts of California and Florida. Major, major relaxing of the EPA restrictions on existing refineries and crash program to build new ones with no restrictions on where they're built. Major relaxation of rules governing nuclear power plant construction and operation.

You think the citizenry will go for all that?

Go to every retail operation you know. Look at the labels. Find something made in the US. What will these businesses sell after you've cut off their suppliers. Imagine the unemployment figures when Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, Sears, Penny's, etc., etc., start laying off 15 then 20 then 25 per cent of their work force.

I'll stop now. I think you've got more than enough to chew over.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM

Why would an isolationist foriegn policy mean we couldn't trade with others?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By us stopping aid to Israel would most likely cut down on Terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently you believe that the terrorists, when declaring their motives, are telling the truth.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 PM

...or will go back to tending goats when that demand has been met... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would an isolationist foriegn policy mean we couldn't trade with others?

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid question.

IMO, once we've isolated ourselves, the rest of the world is going to retaliate. They have to. Whether they'll come right out and admit it or not, the rest of the world depends on the US economy, protection and financial aid. Our new policy shuts down all of that. The shutdown directly affects their economies and well being. It now becomes a matter of "national security" (sound familiar?), their survival.

They'll try to bargain. We don't concede - after all, what're they gonna do, attack us? They quite likely would.

Pick a trading partner and, if Shaun will OK this mini-highjacking (you can PM him), I'll try to make a case as I see the problems we'll have with that country.