Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-09-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: 25th anniversary of John Lennon\'s Death, what were his 3 best song

imagine
come together
revolution

this has got to be at least pretty close to the right answer.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:17 PM

When I was in 6th grade back in the 70's, student protest was still thought of as a way to let our young voices be heard....I remember learning in class one day about what was going on in Vietnam...and listening to various protest songs....I had heard about the war before, of course...it was all over the television...but I had no clue what it was about.

In school - and through artists like Lennon, CSN&Y, etc...we finally learned - and a number of us were outraged. Yes, 6th graders were outraged. It wasn't that big leap to see ourselves in just a few years having to go over there and fight and die for an unjust cause.

My friends and I organized a protest with about 5 other schools in the area...at a designated time, everyone in school stood up from their desk, went outside and lined the streets...we then held hands and sang "Give Peace a Chance," over and over. It got some National news attention, I remember....

Anyway...since that moment, I can't think of any other song I have ever heard that would elicit that strong of a reaction from me. The song is so simple, yet so powerful.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Imagine
Working Class Hero
Come Together
Old 12-09-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was in 6th grade back in the 70's, student protest was still thought of as a way to let our young voices be heard....I remember learning in class one day about what was going on in Vietnam...and listening to various protest songs....I had heard about the war before, of course...it was all over the television...but I had no clue what it was about.

In school - and through artists like Lennon, CSN&Y, etc...we finally learned - and a number of us were outraged. Yes, 6th graders were outraged. It wasn't that big leap to see ourselves in just a few years having to go over there and fight and die for an unjust cause.

My friends and I organized a protest with about 5 other schools in the area...at a designated time, everyone in school stood up from their desk, went outside and lined the streets...we then held hands and sang "Give Peace a Chance," over and over. It got some National news attention, I remember....

Anyway...since that moment, I can't think of any other song I have ever heard that would elicit that strong of a reaction from me. The song is so simple, yet so powerful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this song great. It was my choice earlier in the thread, and Dom you and I came to the same pick from completely different directions, since I'm a Viet vet. Great, great song.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: 25th anniversary of John Lennon\'s Death, what were his 3 best songs?

I would agree with the poster that said it's one of the songs co-written with McCarthey.

Just off the top of my head I'd say

Eleanor Rigby
Penny Lane
A Day in the Life

Swede