Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 PM

Default River bluff CR on doublepaired board

One early limper who has only been at the table 20~ hands, I complete in the SB with 76o, BB checks.

Flop is 245r, I check, BB checks, limper bets, I call, BB folds.

Turn is a 2, check-check

River is a 5, I checkraise.

I don't know much about the guy after 20 hands, but my logic was that if he has an ace, or maybe a king, he's calling if I simply stab at the pot, but check-check and then a bet on the river screams he doesn't have much at all... Of course, betting the flop maybe was better, or not completing in the first place.

Basic question is, pot has 3.25 BB in it after the river action is back to me — risk 2 to win it?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: River bluff CR on doublepaired board

Meh, the pot is small. I think this is spewing.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:36 PM

I don't buy it. Why would a 5 not bet or check-raise that flop, and why wouldn't a 2 bet that turn? I'd call the check-raise if I had an A.

So your bluff is theoretically flawed, but that isn't to say it wouldn't work against a random unknown. It's a matter of reads after that.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:57 PM

I would expect that if he's limping, he's also going to look you up with ace high or king high. I've tried something like this if I've got a read that villain can find the fold button, and I've shown down some quality hands (and even then I get looked up too much -- maybe I'm not as patient as I think [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). Anyway, I don't think it's right to risk this much on a board where my unknown opponent may expect a bluff. By the way, I wouldn't take a stab at this by leading either, since I think you're right he'll likely call with anything half decent.