Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Squirrel Post- don\'t miss the Nuts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never consider the straight flush w/ three of a suit on board if I have the nut flush. Maybe that's a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ed Miller would call it a "huge leak".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an incredibly tiny leak. Ed has posted before saying the worst leaks are those where you have VERY frequent opportunities to make the same mistake.

Getting beat by a straight flush is hardly something that occurs frequently, even in omaha.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:09 PM

What ever happened to learning how to read the [censored] board? Do we need a chart for everything now?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 PM

I'm a goofy goober.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Maybe 2+2 needs to publish a book called "How to Read the Board for Advanced Players"
Old 12-01-2005, 05:20 PM

Not putting in several raises with a nut flush because you are worried about a straight flush would be a huge leak. I might not go to the felt, but It would take 7 or 8 raises (limit) before I would even think about calling. Straight flushes are so rare that you will cost yourself more by being afraid of them than you will by putting lots of money in the pot on the rare occasions when they are really there. Most of the time you will be shown a 2nd nut (or worse) flush.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:29 PM

That's about how I play it too. No use in worrying about the straight flush for a while.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:37 PM

Why's everyone ragging on this post? Oh yeah it's probably the same people that say "OMFG POKER IS RIGGED!!1111ONE!! This post is better than 90% of the posts in here.

Many poker books have this information, and I KNOW that most people have misread the board in some form or another in terms of what they're beating and what they're not

Good work on the post!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:49 PM

No offense to the guy who posted this, but his method sounds more like an algorithm for programming a computer poker game than something that is useful to a human player.

"Does the board contain three cards of one suit? If yes, can you add four to the lowest card of the suit, and reach the two higher cards of that suit on the board? If so a straight flush is possible. For this equation, there are fourteen cards in the deck because A is low or high. J is eleven, Queen is twelve, King is thirteen and ace is One and Fourteen. So if the board has A 3 5 you can add 4 to A, hit the three and reach the 5 and a SF is possible. If the board has three cards of a suit all in a row (e.g. 89T) two S.F.s are possible, the nuts being the higher S.F."

Come on, sh-t like that is only going to serve to confuse a new player. This is hold 'em -- people don't make straight flushes. All you need to know is that if there's three or more of a suit on board, a flush is possible. If the board is paired, anything from 3 of a kind to quads is possible. Do you really need a mathematical forumula to determine whether or not a straight can be made? Wait, how much is a king worth!?!? Come on. Someone who has never played poker before will be able to read the board and recognize possibilities after a half hour of play.

This is overkill.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his method sounds more like an algorithm for programming a computer poker game

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not very efficient, although it is fairly robust.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 PM

Worrying about losing to a straight flush on a 3 flush board when you have an ace high flush is like worrying about losing to KK when you have AA on a KAK flop, it's asinine.