Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 12:22 AM

Default I\'m confused about hourly winrate

I looked through the forums but I am confused.

I'm playing micro/small full ring NL at poker. (for example, $25NL, the lowest they have for normal players).

I've read that a good hourly win rate is 1BB/100, possibly even 2 BB/100. Is this TOTAL hourly win rate on multiple tables, or what?

lets say i play 3000 hands in one day at 0.10/0.25 NL (multitabling of course). If my BB/100 is 1 BB/100, that means I make 0.50 * 1/100 * 3000 = $15 in one day.

Is this the correct calculation? So basically by playing a LOT of hands, all I can make at $25NL is $15 a day?!?!?

THis does not make sense. Furthermore, in 100 hands, that means my expected profit per hand is 0.50 / 100, or $0.005 per hand?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: I\'m confused about hourly winrate

Check out the SSPL%NL forum FAQ for some info on winrates.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 AM

I read it already.

I'm confused about the multitabling issue...Like shouldn't my BB/100 or BB/hr be higher if i play 1000 (theoretically if i could...) tables as compared to 1 table?

Also 1BB/hr, as I said before, doesn't seem like i would make much money playing poker?!?!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 AM

The 1 bb/2 bb per 100 hands usually applies to limit. A higher amount is certainly possible in NL. Also, pokertracker computes "BB" in NL by doubling the big blind. Thus, a "bb" at 25 dollar NL is 50 cents. A "very good" winrate at this level would certainly be over 5 "bb/100(as determined by poketracker)." This is probably not attainable for a novice like yourself, but with practice it should become so. But you're right - even the best players in the world could probably win just 10 bb/100 in 25 dollar NL, which would equate to about 10 dollars per hour if you played 200 hands an hour. That is not very much, but you are also not risking very much in the first place. Poker is a risk vs. reward game. Ideally, you'll find a mix of the highest bb/100 and the highest stakes you can play to win the most money possible. Good luck.
-James
Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm confused about the multitabling issue...Like shouldn't my BB/100 or BB/hr be higher if i play 1000 (theoretically if i could...) tables as compared to 1 table?

[/ QUOTE ]

BB/100 is simply based on the number of hands you play. BB/hr is based on the amount of time. If you are winning 1BB/100 and play 500 hands in an hour, you will be at 5BB/hr.

The more tables you play, the more hands you get in, and the higher your BB/hour should be. However, your game may suffer while playing more tables at a time, so your BB/100 may actually drop, even though you are making more money per hour.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked through the forums but I am confused.

I'm playing micro/small full ring NL at poker. (for example, $25NL, the lowest they have for normal players).

I've read that a good hourly win rate is 1BB/100, possibly even 2 BB/100. Is this TOTAL hourly win rate on multiple tables, or what?

lets say i play 3000 hands in one day at 0.10/0.25 NL (multitabling of course). If my BB/100 is 1 BB/100, that means I make 0.50 * 1/100 * 3000 = $15 in one day.

Is this the correct calculation? So basically by playing a LOT of hands, all I can make at $25NL is $15 a day?!?!?

THis does not make sense. Furthermore, in 100 hands, that means my expected profit per hand is 0.50 / 100, or $0.005 per hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your calculation is correct. We figure winrate per hundred hands to give us a number that we can use to compare results between any number of tables, 4BB/100 on one table versus 6 tables is the same winrate, while the BB/hr figure traditionally used by live players would vary wildly for those two players and would be hard to compare.

I'm not sure why you seem to find the above calculation a puzzling result. You are postulating a very low winrate at a level that's just a bit above penny-ante poker.

As someone above said, you aren't risking very much playing in a 25 dollar buy in game, consequently the rewards aren't very high either. I play a lot of 3/6 limit and there's a decent possibility everytime I sit down that I may drop 300-400 bucks. The upside is that I have a corresponding level of gains that I can make.

And as practical matter what you'll probably find is plenty of days where you make 30-50 bucks, and plenty of days where you lose 20-40 to average out to your 15 bucks a day, and not so many days were you grind it out to 15 bucks even.

--Zetack