Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Does stalling late in tournies actually do anything for ya?

Well the site I'm on doesn't do hand for hand play... so when it gets down to the bubble, people wait till the very last second to act.

Question: When should this be done and how would it help or hurt you?

My thinking is that you want to see a lot of hands as short stack on the bubble so you can catch sometin and steal blinds.... why just waste time so you can hope to get in the money... seems foolish to me and poor etiquette.

However, the site allows it, so I am wondering if I should ever do this myself?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Does stalling late in tournies actually do anything for ya?

This should never be done. As a 2+2er you are required to play for 1st place in MTTs and therefor should be playing like a maniac around the bubble period when other players will tighten up to make 15.98 from their 10+1$ buy-in.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This should never be done. As a 2+2er you are required to play for 1st place in MTTs and therefor should be playing like a maniac around the bubble period when other players will tighten up to make 15.98 from their 10+1$ buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it sometimes in a turbo rebuy supersatellite on Stars when the blinds are huge, partly as a result of previous stalling. The blinds have me covered and I know I will advance if enough people at other tables bust out before the blinds hit me. Then I will stall.

In general I follow the 2+2 strategy above and play for 1st in MTTs, playing like a maniac against tight bubble players.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:19 AM

I typically don't stall, but like betgo, in teh turbo satellites i will use my time bank when i'm in the SB late. but i dont take the full time each hand, just the one timebank
Old 08-15-2005, 12:43 PM

It can cause a shorter stack than you get knocked off in that hand.

In live tournaments, the TD usually announces that dealers should notify the floor immediately if anyone is stalling.

It's not good form to do that. Your skill should prevail. Make your decisions quickly and don't worry about other tables. Stalling is related to angle shooting--it makes you look bad.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:01 PM

If you think you're a bad player and the increasing blind sizes make the whole thing more of a luck-fest then stalling and getting the blinds to increase is slightly to your advantage. However this is a bit of a paradox because if you are aware of this phenomena then you are likely not as bad a player as everyone else at the table and therefore should not want the blinds to increase.

In other words; no, only morons stall. Ever.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:20 PM

If you are satisfied by making it ITM and earning 50-100% of your buyin then I highly suggest stalling.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:24 PM

The question does it accomplish anything -- yes, it pisses other players off, which you can use to your advantage.

I find it annoying, but I understand why people do it. My take on it is that it does two things -- 1) It might get you to the money, depending on the payoff and a player's situation, it might make sense 2) It decreases your chances of improving your situation. You want to see more hands. If you are doing this, you need to get lucky, and you need to get lucky more than once....
Old 08-15-2005, 02:44 PM

Stalling does do something.

If you are on the bubble, and have no real chance at making the final table (say, you have enough to play one round when the BB will put you all in), stalling will often get you into the money.

Yes, it is poor ettiquite, and I have never done it, but if stalling is a +EV move, and 2+2ers are all about +EV, why not do it?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In other words; no, only morons stall. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely part of those turbo satelites to stall. It's not about trusting your skill, 4k/8k blinsd for average stacks of 12k make it a luckfest anyway. There is no reason not to atleast use your timebank and keep the blinds off you for as long as possible. It's an accepted part of those tournaments, and by not doing it you lower your EV considerably. No reason to hurt your value because you want to show the table proper etiquette.

That said, i think this is the only situation when it's the right move. In non satellites playing for first is more benificial than stalling to break the bubble and it's not accepted like in those turbo's.