Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Game almost repaired: What I did and what\'s left

I don't have much to say, but great post!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM

good stuff.

points 7,8, and 10 are probably the most important.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 PM

During a downswing I just had, I thought I might have been raising too many marginal hands from MP (I play 6 max) and thought that I should tighten up my raising standards from the first half of the table. To make this easy, I sorted my hands by VPIP, to group all the ones I regularly play and checked if there were any hands I played regularly that I was losing with. I was a consistent loser with KJ, KT, T8, QT, QJ, these were all hands I regularly played and opened with. I was a net loser with them. So I stopped opening them and trying to steal blinds with them from too early positions. I wasn't coldcalling with them, that wasn't the problem.

Try it out, sort your hands by VPIP and see which ones are in your regular playing repertoire and are losing you money. For the 50K hands that I was playing/running fine and goot, these slipped under the radar but were just weighting my WR down.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:02 PM

amazingly, i am a large loser with AKs. I suck at top pair apparently.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am a large loser with AKs. I suck at top pair apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

flop a flush
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 PM

you're getting all the one liners in tonite aren't you?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
amazingly, i am a large loser with AKs. I suck at top pair apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you overplay your semibluffs with it?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:18 AM

About way behind or way ahead.
Few have asked about this via PM, it might be better I answer here so someone can correct and add if I miss something.

You are playing 5/10nl 6max with 100BB stacks.
And get A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG and I make your normal $40 openraise. Only the BB calls who happens to be a good solid player. Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
The player check and you bet $80, and opponent calls this is all standard so far.
Now turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BB checks again. Now the BB:s range here is usually, KK,QQ,JJ AK,AQ,KQ,KJ,KT,QJ,QT maybe some lower pocket pairs i.e TT & 99 & 44

So you might well have the best hand and if you have the best hand it's very likely dominating the opponents hand, but if you bet $160 the opponent check-raises you put yourself on a unpleasent situation, while you could have just took a free card and play river with more information.
Other thing is on a board like this it's hard to get good action from a hand you beat.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
About way behind or way ahead.
Few have asked about this via PM, it might be better I answer here so someone can correct and add if I miss something.

You are playing 5/10nl 6max with 100BB stacks.
And get A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG and I make your normal $40 openraise. Only the BB calls who happens to be a good solid player. Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
The player check and you bet $80, and opponent calls this is all standard so far.
Now turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BB checks again. Now the BB:s range here is usually, KK,QQ,JJ AK,AQ,KQ,KJ,KT,QJ,QT maybe some lower pocket pairs i.e TT & 99 & 44

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not agree. First of all, I eliminate KK/QQ from the handrange because they would reraise preflop. AK usually does too, but often doesn't so that can stay in.

A much more likely hand range, in my opinion once you get to the turn is AK, AQ, KQ, JT, 44, and KJ with maybe a slight chance of QQ.

I would put KQ, J10 as the most likely hands followed by 44. The game I play in is probably a lot nittier than the game you play in if your hand range is actually accurate.

Also I want to mention that the presence and likeliness of J10 in the handrange means that you are not WA/WB because sometimes he will have J10 which means on the turn he has 13 outs, or ~20%.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:35 AM

You play at pokerstars, right? I don't play there because of the fact it's nittiest of all the sites I have ever tried.
I play lot at ladbrokes, and I believ the hand range I gave is very close to correct against most opponents there. I should have included that.