Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 04-27-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Sexton Joins the \"Reraise\" Club

Some time ago, I posted that I was tired of these people saying "reraise" when they really mean "raise." I went on to say that Sexton was one who I believed had an unblemished record on this front.

3 way action. Alex, first to act, bets his flush draw. John Gale then says "raise," and Sexton says <drumroll, please>...

"Looks like John's gonna test the waters with a reraise here!"

Is this really so complicated?

I mean, I can understand the rampant disregard here at 2+2 for the differences between your and you're, lose and loose, and the Unholy Trio (there, they're, and their), but this is different.

So, I guess Sexton is (like so many others) confused as to how to properly utilize the poker lexicon.

Sigh.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Sexton Joins the \"Reraise\" Club

I think "they're" is a problem with "you're" "lose" interpretaiotn of "Sextone's" remarks concerning "rerising".

Vince
Old 04-27-2005, 10:27 PM

I spilt my water when VVP referred to KTo as a "solid" hand. Something along the lines of "But Player X has picked up a real hand here, king ten...". Solid was used in the description.

edit: oh yeah, this was after a raise too.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:31 PM

VVP is routinely embarassing with his "solid" hand bits.

"Oh, oh! What's this? Daniel Negreanu picks up a solid hand with wired fours. Uh oh, he's limping in, putting the twigs and branches over the hole.. setting the trap. Wait a second, Humberto Brenes picks up A3o and raises all in with zip and pip!"
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, I guess Sexton is (like so many others) confused as to how to properly utilize the poker lexicon.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Professional Writing professor made a point of mentioning how "utilize" is a completely worhtless word. It means exactly the same thing as "use". It just sounds fancier.

She thought people who used "utilize" were confused as to how to properly use the English language.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
confused as to how to properly use the English language

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't that read "properly utilize the English language." Or does it even matter?

Vince
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My Professional Writing professor made a point of mentioning how "utilize" is a completely worhtless word. It means exactly the same thing as "use". It just sounds fancier.

She thought people who used "utilize" were confused as to how to properly use the English language.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your "Professional Writing professor" was wrong.

The verb form of the word use simply means to employ, regardless of the general efficiency of said employment.

The word utilize, on the other hand, has a connotation which clearly involves proper employment.

Think utilitarian, which obviously has the same root, and you may find part of the subtle difference.

Did this "Professional Writing professor" have a paper thingy with Latin words in calligraphy in a frame hanging on his wall? Did you look at it closely?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:00 PM

OWNED.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:15 PM

Hmmmm.... From dictionary.com below. This is different from what you say -- from this definition it looks like you could have used "use" in the original post. Mike Sexton is not missing out on employing words, he's merely misusing them.

(edited to fix grammatical error which may have been pointed out. In no way do I claim to have any command of this language myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

[ QUOTE ]

Usage Note: A number of critics have remarked that utilize is an unnecessary substitute for use. It is true that many occurrences of utilize could be replaced by use with no loss to anything but pretentiousness, for example, in sentences such as They utilized questionable methods in their analysis or We hope that many commuters will continue to utilize mass transit after the bridge has reopened. But utilize can mean “to find a profitable or practical use for.” Thus the sentence The teachers were unable to use the new computers might mean only that the teachers were unable to operate the computers, whereas The teachers were unable to utilize the new computers suggests that the teachers could not find ways to employ the computers in instruction.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-27-2005, 11:59 PM

Interesting, but I think the following sentence actually helps my case:

[ QUOTE ]
Thus the sentence The teachers were unable to use the new computers might mean only that the teachers were unable to operate the computers, whereas The teachers were unable to utilize the new computers suggests that the teachers could not find ways to employ the computers in instruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

The former seems to denote the most simple effort, while the latter seems to denote an actual practical endeavor.

I don't know. Damn, I seem to have pissed people off again.

Sorry, guys.