Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Overpair early on

To me, my logic is probably different from raptor's, but i fold this because its so darn early in the sng to put so much at risk on a marginal hand... Also, because you didnt raise preflop, there could be any range of hands you could be up against. You have 15 invested in this pot, so the return just doesnt justify the risk. You can push here with the best hand and very easily walk away a loser. While i may believe i am currently ahead, i just dont want to risk all my chips this early on 10 10. I believe there will be a better opportunity later in the tourney where i will be able to get my chips in. but thats just me.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:40 PM

Thats the danger of limping in with medium PP on this flop
4s, 2h, 6s

UTG + 2 could of limped in with 66 44 or 22 AK[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or even 53 off or 57 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. My guess is that the reason why you are posting this in the first place is you got cracked with trips or got sucked out on the river.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have 15 invested in this pot, so the return just doesnt justify the risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disabuse yourself of the notion that what you already have invested in the pot matters in terms of what action you should take now.

The chips are in your stack, or in the pot. There's no "those chips in the pot are mine".

As to the original hand, I originally misread the flop action as hero betting and getting raised, and thought the suggestions to fold were painfully weak. Now that my reading comprehension has actually caught up, yeah, easy fold at this stage.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:43 PM

let me qualify my statement with I am new to poker, enjoy the forum, and play some devil's advocate to see how my thinking holds up...

I agree how much you have invested shouldnt be a factor in your decision to check, call, fold or push, but i do think it is a good common sense indicator. I am speaking about this hand and not generalizing that it is a sound strategy. I see this type of move quite a bit, so i know there are others that are making overly strong moves with very marginal hands. While, again, i agree to an advanced player this is not the logic to use, for players that make this move, i think it is. and, one place i think this forum often goes wrong is people need to understand the play of the question poster because that will show you his/her level of understanding. Case in point...

You wrote, you misread it originally that its an easy fold...as i was the first to post i would fold. but, i offered an explanation into why...and it was simple, something he could take away immediately. I think anyone that is in this position, with a marginal hand, that wants to make a move during the first orbit of a sng is crazy. considering the weak play at 22s, be patient, dont be one of the crazies! Save your stack for when a crazy decides to make this move on you...
Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree how much you have invested shouldnt be a factor in your decision to check, call, fold or push, but i do think it is a good common sense indicator.

[/ QUOTE ] Likewise just some advice: How much you have invested should always be irrelevant. Its just money in the pot, regardless if you put it there or someone else did. Make all your decisions on how much is in the pot, not who put it there. Dead money is dead money.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:13 PM

I agree money in the pot should not be considered!

But, post something constructive, dont just echo what others have stated is LAW and cannot be disputed.

My statement of having just 15 invested is getting blown out of proportion. The reason I said it is somehow, the original poster thought about this hand and decided to push. So, telling him its an easy fold is not constructive. Give him reasons. Now, i dont want to come off as giving people the wrong reason to make the right decision, but I attempt to give a reason. Stay on topic and give better advice, dont fixate on a side remark i made. I was just stating that this hand should not be hard to lay down considering it has cost you next to nothing to play it...its a psychological barrier many people seem to have. by stating that, maybe he would have laid it down and saw the hand from a different perspective. but, he didnt just get married to the hand that he wouldnt protect preflop, he friggen knocked it up.