Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Question about installing Windows XP Home on a SATA drive

My parts will be in Friday and I plan to start building my computer this weekend. I've been doing some reading about the process of assembling the componenets and installing the software. I just came across this quote at Radified.com:

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a RAID, SCSI, or SATA controller that is not natively supported by the operating system, you will need to download the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer and create a floppy containing them, or add them to the CD (or both). You might already have a CD that contains these drivers. But check for updated versions anyway.

SATA is not supported by anything prior to WXP SP1. Alternately, you can ask Windows to look for updates during the install, which requires an Internet connection. But this takes quite a bit of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone dissect what that is saying? As long as I have a way to get the SATA drivers onto a floppy or CD, will I be fine? I ask because I'll be using an old Windows CD that does not include SP1 or 2. I will have another CD with SP2 on it, which I'll download from MS. Is this going to cause me headaches or should it go relatively smoothly? I won't want to put the computer online until I've installed a few things, including antivirus, antispyware, SP2, etc.