Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 PM

Default TPTK, OOP against a big stack

UB $5+.50, this is actually a SnG, but it's one of their 3 table SnGs, so I thought I'd post it here.

They just condensed tables, so I don't have any reads.

Blinds: 30/60
Important stacks: Me: ~T3300
Villain: ~T5200

About 20 people left, top 5 pay.

I'm UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I raise to 210 (too small?). Villain calls in the CO.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

What should my plan for the rest of the hand be?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: TPTK, OOP against a big stack

I make good size value bets the entire hand. Don't see how I can get away from TPTK in this spot. you may have an abv. avg. stack, but you only get dealt so many good hands in an sng, so this is a spot where you take it to the felt.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:46 PM

IMO, Your pre-flop raise was fine, put in a solid bet on this flop, about half the pot. Oftentimes this will win the pot right away. If you get re-raised or villain calls and a scare card comes on the turn (perhaps aonther Q) you will have a decision to make. There are so few hands that are ahead of you on this flop and no draws out there. Villain might have a monster, but more often than not you are ahead here.

Carl
Old 11-17-2005, 01:50 PM

Well my thinking here is that I'm either way ahead or way behind and either my opponent is drawing to 2-3 outs or I am. How would you weight the necessity for pot control v. getting value when you're ahead?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:59 PM

what makes you think you're way behind?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 PM

i agree, you should be trying to extract value from this hand. with no reads, i wouldnt slow play. make reasonable bets of half the pot. if bet of 250 or so gets raised to 750, call. bc there are no obvious draws, giving free cards is not a problem. your opponent is either well ahead or well behind. dont reraise. let him draw to 2-6 outs for one card, then reassess on turn.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:03 PM

Well, I don't have any reason to believe, right now, that I'm way behind. If I bet this flop and I'm called, I'm either way ahead against AJ-A3, or way behind AQ, A2, QQ, 22 or a tricky play with AA.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 PM

you havent given enough information to indicate you should be fearful of anything (as in villain raised or was tight), so I assume you are trying to maximize what you can get from villain. I like that this board is rainbow, so I'm not worried about a flush, but I also don't want to give villain any free cards to hit his straight, 2 pr or set. I bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot. If he folds, he folds. If he calls, re-evaluate based on turn card.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot. If he folds, he folds. If he calls, re-evaluate based on turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this is what I did. He folded, which was fine by me, but I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do in this spot when I had a comfortable stack and was OOP against a big stack.

I bet, he folded, but I didn't really have a plan for the hand, so I just wanted to make sure that that's what it should have been.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 PM

Is big stack aggressive, meaning will he try to take this pot away from you if you check? If so you might want to checkraise or even check call if he will make multiple plays for the pot. Of course you risk giving him a free card, but the board here is pretty benign so I will accept some risk for a chance at a big pay day.

But without such a read I would probably play it the same.