Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 AM

Default $400 - tricky trips hand

Ten-handed PL $400, I raise to $14 from CO with 97 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Button & both blinds call.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets pot ($54). I just call, then SB min-raises. SB seems solid from 100 or so hands we've played together so his range is the sraight, a boat, maybe trips but if so he will have me outkicked. Remote chance of KJ i suppose but unlikely.

BB folds & I call.

River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] & he puts me in for my last $300 & I fold.

Comments? River is obvious but do you raise BB's initial bet or just call? When I call & it's min check-raised do you even bother seeing the river when improving could cost another $300?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: $400 - tricky trips hand

Preflop - Good
Flop - Good
Turn - Good, I think a fold is far too weak when you have position.
River - Good
Old 10-18-2005, 10:11 AM

If his range is that strong, then I think you should fold the turn minraise, as you dont beat much, and you might find yourself hitting your 7 and losing your stack.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 AM

Flop was checked around.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:06 AM

Questions:

1) What does "solid" mean to you in your description of SB? Some people take that to mean a good, winning player capable of making moves, being aggressive or passive as the situation warrants. Others take it to mean playing straightforward ABC poker.
2) Why did you call the turn minraise? Were you willing to put the rest in if the board paired, putting you ahead of a straight and behind anybody holding the board card that paired (unless its quads, but you know that). What about if a seven hit? You can't call it hoping to spike a seven (because you don't have odds) and you can't feel great about calling off your chips if a king or jack falls, nor can you value bet.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:10 AM

If he calls and get the full house Hero can make a decision on the river depending on what villian does!?

For example if a J hit he can make a 1/2 pot valuebet if villian checks.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he calls and get the full house Hero can make a decision on the river depending on what villian does!?

For example if a J hit he can make a 1/2 pot valuebet if villian checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand worse than bottom boat is calling a bet on a KJJ99 board?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 AM

QT or AK, but prolly they fold of course.

But I hate checking behind in that scenario with a hand im 90% sure it's the best. Maybe bet 1/4 pot? (or just checking it down well well... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])
Old 10-18-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Questions:

1) What does "solid" mean to you in your description of SB? Some people take that to mean a good, winning player capable of making moves, being aggressive or passive as the situation warrants. Others take it to mean playing straightforward ABC poker.
2) Why did you call the turn minraise? Were you willing to put the rest in if the board paired, putting you ahead of a straight and behind anybody holding the board card that paired (unless its quads, but you know that). What about if a seven hit? You can't call it hoping to spike a seven (because you don't have odds) and you can't feel great about calling off your chips if a king or jack falls, nor can you value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid menas he had played pretty sensible from the few hands I'd seen. Only hand of note I raise from MP with JJ, he calls, flop rags I pot it, he calls. Turn brings flush, we both check, river brick I bet 2/3 he flat calls with QQ.

I wasn't really sure what to do on the turn, I thought he probably had QT & in which case I have pot odds to draw to my outs as he won't bet if the board pairs (though 7 would make life intersting). I thought KK unlikely & J9 suspected he may lead flop. But JJ would probably also be played that way.

Anyway, not much history so not really sure of my read but given possibility I'm drawing slim to dead I think I may have done better to just ditch it on the turn.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM

Another thing I don't see many players I'd describe as "solid" do is minraise (as this guy did). Minraising on a board like this is a donk play unless you've already got a boat (which seems likely). A player that checks the flop, then goes for a turn checkraise is often extremely strong and just waiting for somebody to put some money in the pot for him to win. He doesn't seem to mind giving you a free card both on the turn and river so its unlikely there is much he can have that you have more than one out against (and you might even be drawing dead to K9 or J9, though those are pretty unlikely to be played against a raise out of position).

However, I've seen some donks make this sort of play with a straight but you still can't really call the turn minraise. Your immediate odds are close to what you need if he shows you a straight and tells you he won't put in another dime if the board pairs but the reverse implied odds of filling up and still losing to a higher boat make this a fold. I suppose if you could get any money out of a straight on a board-pairing river, the call would be OK, but I think the only boat that might make you any money is if you hit the seven.