Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 03:44 PM

Default How big does the pot have to be for you to agressively play aflushdraw

For example, if theres only like 3 people in the hand and the pot is 3-4 sb at the flop... should u even bet out a flush draw?

so basically im asking.. if the pot is really small, should u even bother winning it at all?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: How big does the pot have to be for you to agressively play aflushdraw

HELL YES. I play to win money not just big pots. Small pots add up too. Always play to win.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: How big does the pot have to be for you to agressively play aflushdraw

It isn't a bet for value, but if you think there's a reasonable chance both villains fold, then you account for that somehow (ie. would they call bets with overcards, bottom pair, does the flop look like it missed everyone completely?).
Old 05-27-2005, 04:04 PM

Betting a flush draw is more about how many players are in, not how big the pot is. If you have 2+ opponents in, you should always bet the flop, and raise if you know they'll call it. CALLING with a flush draw is dependent on pot size, and almost always correct.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:29 PM

I always lead out on a flush draw. With 2+ others I'll reraise if I get the chance. If they don't fold out, I'm building the pot for myself.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: How big does the pot have to be for you to agressively play aflush

with position, probably

if I thought I could get folds, maybe

if both? definitely
Old 05-27-2005, 05:25 PM

With a (we'll assume good...usually, for me, at least a Q-high with two cards, K-high with one card, or, of course, any SF draw) flush draw, a flush draw that is almost certain to win if it hits, there are two things to consider (trying to paraphrase Ed's "pot equity" section in SSHE in my own words...someone correct me if I'm wrong):

First, your pot equity. You have about a 35% chance to make your flush by the river; so, for all intents and purposes, from a theoretical standpoint, 35% of that pot belongs to you. If you have exactly two opponents, you are 33% of the remaining people in the pot, so your equity edge [(Pot Equity) - (Percentage of remaining people)] is basically zero... so you can raise, or not raise. (I usually do.) With more than two opponents, you have the equity edge, as your percentage of people left in the hand is lower. Raise and reraise; both for value, and also to possibly get a free card on the turn, if your flush doesn't hit. This raising is regardless of the size of the pot. If you are heads-up, you have a negative equity edge, so you would not raise. The pot size and pot odds determine whether or not you should call, in this case.