Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Re: MicroLimit Personal Progress...All Posters Post

I'm wondering bud.

You are killing the game for over 8 BB/hr (what does this translate to in BB/100, I assume higher). How many hands are we looking at? At 2500 hands you said you were at a 2.6 BB/hr with a true rate of 5.39/hr.

(how do you calculate true rate)

I think BB/100 is a better idea of true playing ability than BB/hr rates (arguements can be made either way).

What are your rates for 1/2?

I guess I would just be careful about moving up too fast, as this can often make people miss a lot of important concepts.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Got some #s or stats or both?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-28-2004, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering bud.

You are killing the game for over 8 BB/hr (what does this translate to in BB/100, I assume higher). How many hands are we looking at? At 2500 hands you said you were at a 2.6 BB/hr with a true rate of 5.39/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm now at 2800 and it's jumped to 7.34/100. That's 3.99/hr, with a true rate of 8.29/hr.

[ QUOTE ]

(how do you calculate true rate)

[/ QUOTE ]

True rate figures in the fact that you're multitabling. Your rate/hr assumes that you're playing one table at a time. When you ask PT for your true rate, it looks to see when you were multitabling. So if your rate was 2BB/hr, and you normally play 3 tables at once (like I do), your true rate would be somewhere around 6BB/hr.

[ QUOTE ]

I think BB/100 is a better idea of true playing ability than BB/hr rates (arguements can be made either way).

[/ QUOTE ]

True. However, there is a case to made for BB/hr, since it measures how much you can earn per unit time. If the game is so easy that I can play ABC poker, it might make more sense for me to play a lot of tables, even if I occasionally make mistakes, because my mistakes are more than compensated for by the increased win rate.

The harder the game, the fewer tables I can play, so I end up making less per unit time.

[ QUOTE ]

What are your rates for 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh! I'm at -3.5BB/100. That translates to -2.06 BB/hr, and a true win (lose) rate of -4.6 BB/hr. (I decided I wasn't losing fast enough, so I had to add more tables to lose more quicker.)

Again, the cold cards kept coming. My VP$IP is 11%, and I'm not that tight (I'm at 19-20% at the other levels).

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I would just be careful about moving up too fast, as this can often make people miss a lot of important concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My new plan is to play 1/2 on the weekends (when it's a bit softer) until I get a good feel for it. I'll continue to play .5/1 during the week.

If it goes anything like my transition from .05/.10 to .25/.50, I'll struggle early, and then take off.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM

From the look of your numbers you need to spend more time at .50/1. Your VP$IP is way to high, I believe it should be around 16-20. Also it looks like you are completing out of the small blind too much.

I have only been using pockertracker for a couple months, so I'm sure you will get more opinions on your stats.

Here is a link with some good base numbers.

MS Sunshine's post
Old 07-28-2004, 01:35 PM

How many blind steal possibilities did you have (at .5/1)? If it is as high as I suspect (96), then you need to pick better tables. It has been passed to me in the cut-off or button only 13% of the time. If 96 is right, then your number is closer to 28% of the time. You can find some looser tables than that.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:05 PM

I would also suggest spending a bit more time at .5/1 since this sample is very small and you want to prove yourself a winner at this level before moving up and potentially losing more money at a higher rate.

Your VP$IP seems extremely high regardless of your sample size.

WTSD% seems a bit higher (usually around 30-33% for most I think)

W$SD% is also low as you want to be around 52-56%.

I would take time at the .5/1 for perhaps at least 10k hands to make sure you can get a postive BB/100 rate of at least 2 BB/100 at minimum or I don't really see how you will do well in higher limits.

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:07 PM

Also, all games from .5/1 to 2/4 are easier at night. I love the time between 8 PM - 11 PM central time.

I think games are beatable for a skilled player any time during the day, but a lot easier at night.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also suggest spending a bit more time at .5/1 since this sample is very small and you want to prove yourself a winner at this level before moving up and potentially losing more money at a higher rate.

Your VP$IP seems extremely high regardless of your sample size.

WTSD% seems a bit higher (usually around 30-33% for most I think)

W$SD% is also low as you want to be around 52-56%.

I would take time at the .5/1 for perhaps at least 10k hands to make sure you can get a postive BB/100 rate of at least 2 BB/100 at minimum or I don't really see how you will do well in higher limits.

Thanks for the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. I knew what I needed to work on, everytime I seem to get on a bad streak I take a step back and try to see what I'm doing wrong, then make notes on myself in PT to follow in the future. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know my VP$IP is on the high side, but my 1/2 6 players stats are skewed as I tend to prey on weak / tight tables.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:37 PM

For anyone that cares.

I lost 150 on pp.Playing .50/1 and sng's
My girlfriend looked around. Found a site that would give me 2 free books if I deposited 25@Pacific.
Figured I would blow thur the 25 get the books and read them. Got a 7 dollar bonus. Lost 12 bucks or so. Played some more. Got a bit of advice from colgin and Mangatang (thanks guys). Tightened up a bit. Then boom I sat down at a 1/2 table with 10 bucks and turned it into 80 dollars in 20 minutes or so.

So after reading some ,tightening up, reading the boards and pming a few guys I can say that I am actually up 44 dollars gross in the past 2 weeks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have some leaks I need to work on The 2 biggest being Playing tighter against a maniac. The second Being paying better attention to the game and not surfing the net while I play.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:26 PM

Yeah I tend to lose concentration after a hundred hands or so and start browsing the web or watching TV while playing poker.

Another thing is when you're on a bad stretch of cards for a long time that you start playing hands you shouldn't, or you play too aggressively once you get some half decent cards even if there's a straight / flush draw on the table.