Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: anyone else NOT read poker books?

I have read a few chapters in super system 1 and 2---skimed through a few other books because I have meet or have heard great things about the books---As of today I am not a big fan of what is being printed---
Now, I do like what Dr. Al has to say ----the MIND games of poker players ------he is A OK and #1
Also, Mike C. has great stuff on his web site----
Other then that, hand selection, player selection, table selection and MY ATTITUDE that day are what I play by---
ohh -- and yes, I am a winning player and have helped many others turn thier game around to become winning players

PLAY ON
Old 10-31-2005, 10:56 PM

If you've learned to be a solid player through trial and error then that's great.

But you should still read the major poker texts because the opponents who are dangerous to you have read them.

Even if it doesn't change your playing style at all, you will learn an awful lot about the thought processes of your opponents.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:19 AM

OP also probably doesn't understand that in some games (draw) or situations (the river in 7cs) that what you do needs to be randomized somewhat and there are ideal percentages in some of the more common match-ups.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:54 PM

ive never read any poker books because i dont find they apply as much as forum posts do to the games i play
Old 11-01-2005, 02:32 PM

I have read several, but by "read" I mean "skimmed most of it but focused on parts of it which were novel".

The $10-$50 the books each cost is much less than the money I would have expended to learn these lessons from trial and error at the table.

Other references: I finally talked my roommate into reading HOH1 and it damn (is that even still a swear word??) near changed his winrate by a factor of -1.

Another friend I have refuses to read poker books and while he's great at reading people (purely from experience), he has no idea what he's doing when it comes to betting/raising/calling. For instance - "I've got the NUTS!! - ALL IN!!" Unfortunately, I can not talk him into reading anything, so he'll continue to learn slowly from experience.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Oh come on K dog. I left it wide open for you..

"Your" instead of "You're".

I thought you'd be all over that.