Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Crazy Harry\'s Blackjack Hold\'Em!

[Since this is getting little interest over in Micro]

Crazy Harry is the new marketing consultant at PartyPoker and he's always trying to bring in more business at the .5/1 tables. His latest "brainstorm" is Blackjack Hold'Em.

It's kind of crazy (of course), but here's how it works. You pay a BB to play, and then the software deals you a blackjack (always A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) for your hole cards and sits you down at a full hold 'em table just before the flop. There's 10 BB in the pot. So there's no pre-flop betting, but you're up against 9 players. The hand is played out just like regular Hold 'Em.

Crazy Harry's not sure anyone will go for that, so he throws in an extra condition: He guarantees that no one at the table has AA, KK, QQ or AK. The other players are just regular PartyPoker .5/1 players who don't know they're playing Blackjack Hold'Em. He doesn't want to give you every advantage, so you'll be leading off the betting.

Do you play this game?

Crazy Harry's also offering a variant. In this variant, you only play against 4 players, but Harry removes the guarantee about AA, KK, etc. There's 5 BB in the pot to start.

Do you play this version? Do you prefer one version over the other?

-- Scott
Old 10-29-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Crazy Harry\'s Blackjack Hold\'Em!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you play this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you prefer one version over the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Version one.

/mc
Old 10-30-2004, 11:59 AM

I think that's a good choice.

This arises out of a discussion I had on Micro about whether or not to raise AJo in SB. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but several people argued that it was a better raise in a middle or early position, to limit the field.

I reason that if there is no raise in front of you in SB, it indicates that there is no one with top pair, big slick, etc. To my mind, you'd rather play a bunch of players under those conditions (where you have +EV against all of them) than a few players who might (or might not) have strong hands.

-- Scott
Old 10-30-2004, 04:09 PM

Yes, I play. Crappy position is compensated by the fact that Only AQ and JJ dominate your hand. This means you probably have the best hand when an A or J falls.

Since the aggression is so high on a 5 person table, it's easy to push AJo really hard and get owned by AK, AQ, etc. I prefer version 1