Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: On Golden Pond, but no catch

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is an example of the "schooling effect." individually, each player is making a mistake going to showdown. collectively(sp?) the players have many outs and as a group will often suck-out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The schooling effect would mean that even though some of your opponents are making mistakes to call, you don't want them to call, since the incorrect calls benefit the strong draws and hurt you. That's not the case here.

Even though the percentage of pots won decreases when you have more opponents with AA or AK, your average profit increases as the number of loose opponents increases.

[ QUOTE ]
the best hands for these types of games are high suited connectors; you wanna get a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a common misconception. High pocket pairs are much better. See PokerRoom's stats.

[ QUOTE ]
you should welcome the idiot who went to the river with a gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling 3 cold, yes. Calling on the flop with nothing, yes. However, the turn call was correct and not welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
consider NL.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's a bad response to a suckout. Suckouts still happen in NL, and it can be very frustrating to build up a huge stack and lose it after you get your money in as the favorite.

There are still many fish in NL, but calling stations get destroyed rapidly and move on. You want calling stations in your game. Don't change games to avoid the bad players who make the game profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have been corrected by holier than thou. when you are done being full of yourself, please wash your hands and flush. wanna cookie?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: On Golden Pond, but no catch

[ QUOTE ]
i have been corrected by holier than thou.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my judgment, pzhon's post actually did a good job of focusing on the opinion he or she disagreed with rather than making ad hominem attacks.

I agree that switching to NL is unlikely to help someone overcome variance if they haven't already learned to accept it.