Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 PM

Default PLO/8 Promo Raising the Flop

What do you think of this type of promo raise on the flop? I have a weak/medium strength hand in both directions, so I raise MP2's weak looking bet hoping to get it heads-up with position. Is this a raise or fold situation? And if so, is the raise with the risk?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($73.75)
CO ($39.65)
Hero ($50.70)
SB ($18.90)
BB ($35.75)
UTG ($42.75)
UTG+1 ($16.30)
MP1 ($25.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.9</font>...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: PLO/8 Promo Raising the Flop

Looks good, almost standard. In a full ring it's a little more iffy, but in shorthanded play, when I flop aces w/ a decent low draw, I think getting active is the right play. You ought to get a free card on the turn, take it unless you improve.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:12 AM

well, .50 is a bet begging to be raised, and you do have a hand that plays both ways, so I don't have problem with it, but if you get called you can get in a very uncomfortable position if your opponent pot bets the turn or river, as you may find yourself putting in most of your stack on an at best money back proposition.

On the flip side, you often get the call, check, and take down some extra with a pot bet on the turn. You just have to have the discipline to make the right moves afterwards.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 AM

What about if MP2 bet the full size of the pot on the flop? Do you still like to raise here? I'm wondering because I don't want to conflate the reasons for a promo raise with raising because MP2 made a weak bet.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:34 AM

Dear All,

The question for me, really, is this: what kind of hands is this guy showing down and what is my overall read on his play.

The beauty of Omaha 8 is usually that it is a known quantity: It is, for the most part counting outs and knowing almost EXACTLY where you are and looking a pot odds.

But, in PL you can be in marginal situations like this. You have a good two way hand, but it is conceivable that if this is a good player he has limped in with a monster like AA24 with some suits begging to reraise you if you got aggressive on the flop.

However, you do have position and I like the pot bet, not as a promo raise but as an attempt to win the pot RIGHT there. I think you want to play this hand small, and you really need to dump this if a solid player now RERAISES you or if calls and then leads out at you on the flop for a full pot and you have not improved.

However, with the fish that play this game, I might even reraise his reraise. Just depends on the player. Just some thoughts.

In the main, though, against a good player, I don't think this is a promo raise but bully raise. I am open to correction and would like to see responses on this and an analysis of my juvenile attempt at analysis.

With Regards,

Will Ma
Old 12-13-2005, 11:30 AM

If you were MP with 23 and clubs, would you bet out and how much?