Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-22-2005, 08:55 PM

Default LC: I this possible?

I just found out that I am losing my job and will not be getting a paycheck after december 15th. Assuming I am above average intelligence and can dedicate the neccesary time would it be possible to replace my current income of ~3K a month with SNG winnings?

what game and bankroll would you reccomend for this goal?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: LC: I this possible?

[ QUOTE ]
I just found out that I am losing my job and will not be getting a paycheck after december 15th. Assuming I am above average intelligence and can dedicate the neccesary time would it be possible to replace my current income of ~3K a month with SNG winnings?

what game and bankroll would you reccomend for this goal?

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you can rest easy knowing that they couldn't possibly have fired you for your decision making skills.

Yugoslav
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 PM

You could probably do this pretty easily with marginal skills at the 20's with a bankroll of like $1500 (just to be really safe, considering you won't have another job), but you could end up playing anywhere from 500 to 1000 SNGs a month.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could probably do this pretty easily with marginal skills at the 20's with a bankroll of like $1500 (just to be really safe, considering you won't have another job), but you could end up playing anywhere from 500 to 1000 SNGs a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you win 3K per month by playing 500 20s with marginal skills?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM

I was wondering the same. Also how many tables would you have to play to accomplish this without playing 20 hours a day 30 days a month?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same. Also how many tables would you have to play to accomplish this without playing 20 hours a day 30 days a month?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, now that I'm involved in this thread...

First you have to be able to beat the 20s consistenly one-tabling. SnG's are a very different kind of poker than ring games.

Then you have to learn how to multi-table.

Then you have to hope you have the weird kind of brain that will let you 4-table, and better yet, 8-table, and you have to build up to that.

And you have to invest in the hardware (second monitor) if you want to 8-table efficiently.

Any you have to have the tempermant, bankroll management skills, stamina, discipline, and other characteristics necessary to be a successful small businessperson in any field.

There's more, but I hope that gives you a sense of the challenge you would face.

After all that, you still would like an answer to your original question, you can see the FAQ for the likely maximum ROI you can expect if you are a very good player at the Party tables, then do some basic math.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more of the upper range of that for those with "marginal skills."
Old 11-22-2005, 09:28 PM

ok so I am going to buy 16 monitors and 64 table so that I can have my entire bankroll in play at all times ... I should be a millionaire within a year.

ok seriously if I 4 table the 20's I think I could easily make 2-2.5k a month which should be enough.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:30 PM

Once you are able to 8-table, playing 1000 SNGs is only like 100 hours of work per month.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more of the upper range of that for those with "marginal skills."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't consider a 15% ROI at the 22's "marginal skills." It might be marginal for a STT pro, but the OP is essentially a random person. Calling a 15% ROI at the 22's marginal is like saying some MIT math PhD student is marginallly skilled at math because he only understands intermediate-level hyperbolic topology, not advanced. I think a random person of "marginal skills" will have a ROI of about -9%.