Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 04:52 PM

Default So really what\'s the problem with playing alot of poker?

I honestly find poker to be one of my most productive hobbies i've ever had. People all have hobbies and if you're winning in poker as a hobby that's a good thing right? At my college, there were kids who sat around all day playing halo or madden for the same amount of time I play poker. I know because I used to do that for a while. There are kids who do nothing all day but just sit around shooting pool.. yeah i've done that too. On weekends going to frat parties is supposed to be fun right? No, i find it to get boring after a while. Millions of americans sit around watching tv all day and millions of teenagers/young adults spend plenty of time playing computer games like everquest, world of warcraft, counterstrike, and others. Most people have hobbies and things they are interested... what makes poker a bad hobby if you have self control and are winning? This post was inspired by reading people getting depressed about playing so much poker or feel ashamed. What the hell is there to be ashamed about? It's a game that you like to play alot and prosper at and it's less time consuming than something like everquest. In poker you can stop when you want, sit out to do stuff, play on your time, etc. Games like everquest or world of warcraft require more of a committment and you are actually penalized for not playing as much (your friends out level you, you miss out on raids and can't get gear, you lose experience, etc). I can honestly tell myself i'd rather play poker in my free time than sit around watching tv or playing a video game like most people my age do.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: So really what\'s the problem with playing alot of poker?

Poker in a controlled environment can be a fun hobby, if played by the right person. When played by the wrong person it can suddenly become not just a hobby but an addiction. Add that to playing at higher stakes while uneducated and that could be detrimental to a person's life. Poker is still gambling and some people can't handle gambling responsibility and it ruins their lives.

Lets face it, your not going to blow your mortgage payment for the month playing counter-strike
Old 08-15-2005, 05:31 PM

Doesn't sound like you have a problem. Have fun.

Most of my hobbies (and exhobbies) cost me a fair amount of money. Playing poker is the only "hobby" I've ever had that I make money at. It also gives me something to fall back on if I lose my job.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM

poker has its own vicious cycle like everquest and wow.

"hey I won money...woah, now I can make more money" and
"[censored] I lost money...damnit, now I need to make it back"

and given that real money is on the line it can be a lot harder to tear yourself away. Instead of having to deal with the abstract "my friend has 2 more levels than me in an imaginary world" you have to deal with cold hard cash. If you've ever played with a friend at a similar level to yourself you can often find yourself trying to get ahead of him and money is a bigger incentive for most than an item in a rpg.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker has its own vicious cycle like everquest and wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yepp, I think you hit it right on there.
Poker as well as a lot of other computer games has the ability to consume ppl's full attention and make the rest of their lives circle around the game. If you get too involved with it, you will quite likely feel bad, even if you like the game. Just because you might miss other things that is equally and maby more important than enjoying to gamble and win.

I used to play wc3 a lot. And when you meet friends, or family. For example when you're sitting at a dinner and all you really care about is to get away from it as soon as possible, simply in order to play the game. Then you know you are in trouble.

peace
Old 08-16-2005, 07:40 AM

Poker as a hobby is more productive than playing video games, watching tv, or shooting pool.

But don't shortchange the frat parties, the social skills you'll pick up are priceless. Don't be the silly drunk, be the guy thats dancing, etc with the girls!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 AM

There's nothing wrong with any hobby - poker included - as long as it's done in balance with the other things/people in your life. If you like to play poker in your spare time, fine. If you'd rather play poker than go to parties, hang out with your friends, take your girlfriend out to dinner, etc., then your poker "hobby" may in fact be a problem.

The posters you refer to, who feel depressed or ashamed, feel that way because they've let a card game take over their life, to the detriment of every other person/thing in their lives.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 AM

Everyone is going to disagree with me here and tell me that I am wrong. Actually I am appalled at how anti-poker this forum is. Bottom line about life man: You will NEVER be great at anything without making it an obsession in your life. Do you think Tiger Woods only plays a couple hours every 2-3 days? I am from Indiana, and I have spent time talking with Larry Bird. You know what his advice is to young up and coming NBA wannabees? He tells them to live under the rim and shoot 12 hrs a day. If you wanna be good at poker, playing "a lot" is the only way. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Indy
Old 08-16-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets face it, your not going to blow your mortgage payment for the month playing counter-strike

[/ QUOTE ]

i won't blow my mortage playing poker, either.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is going to disagree with me here and tell me that I am wrong. Actually I am appalled at how anti-poker this forum is. Bottom line about life man: You will NEVER be great at anything without making it an obsession in your life. Do you think Tiger Woods only plays a couple hours every 2-3 days? I am from Indiana, and I have spent time talking with Larry Bird. You know what his advice is to young up and coming NBA wannabees? He tells them to live under the rim and shoot 12 hrs a day. If you wanna be good at poker, playing "a lot" is the only way. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on! I hadn't really deeply considered this, until now. Good post. Good thread.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:08 AM

Keep in mind, I'm not telling everyone to obsess about poker...I just think you need to decide if you wanna be any above-average hobbyist or a serious professional.

Indy