Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Losing weight.

Can I? I figure that I will start trying tomorrow. Last summer I lost about 30 pounds before putting it back on the last 4 months. I was blacktopping as a summer job, which I won't be doing now. Last year I really wanted to lose weight, now I really know I should lose weight, but don't really feel like it.

I just weighed myself and am at 265 (and am 6'2"). I was at 233 at my low point last October. I also think that I have lost muscle which isn't good. I have a bowflex and an exercise bike . I hate working out. It isn't something that I will ever like. When I played football in high school, we had to work out and I hated it. I hate running. Besides being so lazy when it comes to exercise I have always been better than decent at sports that i have played. My city and county isn't exactly in the top tier of athletes though.

I will try to stick to the diet of Bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast, dry turkey sandwich on wheat for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. It seemed to work last time. Also a banana or yogurt for a snack. I really don't want to give up applebees and pizza, so that will be hard. I will try to use my bowflex everyday, but I don't know how well that will go, since I feel like I am at the point where I am too fat to work out.

Anyways, that is about it.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Losing weight.

play some DDR. if you like it and get hooked you'll lose a lot guarenteed
Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
play some DDR. if you like it and get hooked you'll lose a lot guarenteed

[/ QUOTE ]

I played DDR for the first time recently, and I think this will actually be my plan. I don't need to lose weight, but I definately need to start working out, but can't find any convenient cardio activities enjoyable other than this.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 AM

Will power.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:40 AM

I made a weight loss money bet with my roomate and a friend. I lost 31 pounds by just not eating such crap all the time, and I started running on the treadmill. After 4 months of that, I'm lighter, feel better, and I actually ate Taco Bell for the first time after not eating it for months and now it tastes like [censored] to me.

By the way, I was 6'3" and 245, so pretty much your size. Maybe if money is on the line that will boost your willpower.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:47 AM

This is a good idea. The shame of losing a bet and the suckiness of losing money will usually motivate me to do... Yeah, pretty much anything.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:55 AM

Couple of thoughts.

1) Weight training doesn't seem like the answer for you. Building muscle won't help you lose weight, as muscle is heavier than fat. Plus, it sounds like your protein intake is low, so you won't be building much muscle anyway. Aerobic exercise is bettor for losing weight.

2) If you don't like running, try swimming. Swimming laps burns an enormous amount of calories, is less stressful for your body, and more fun (IMO).

3) I don't know what your diet is like, but replacing soda with water is a very easy way to cut calories out of your diet. If you hate water, try gatorade, since it has less than half the calories of soda.

4) If you can't cut out pizza and applebees, thats ok. But DON'T drink alcohol when you eat these foods. Alcohol intake actually hurts the body's ability to break down fat, and these foods are obviously very high in fat.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I will try to stick to the diet of Bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast, dry turkey sandwich on wheat for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't be your weight that you should be concerned about. You should be aiming to reduce your body fat percentage. To achieve that, stop eating [censored] like bagels, get a lot of activity (walking, running, dancing, swimming, etc), drink a lot of liquids (no juice or soda) and eat smaller meals more frequently.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:12 AM

Building muscle does help you burn fat faster.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:17 AM

Don't eat bagels. High glycemic index carbs are bad, and bagels have a ton of them.

Find a sport you like playing, and do it. You don't have to do physical activity to lose weight, but it's good for other reasons. You don't need to weight train every day. Actually, you shouldn't weight train every day, particularly at the beginning.

Bananas are pretty much the highest calorie fruit (although incredibly high in nurtrients). I would more fibrous fruits, like apples or pears.

I also don't know how healthy lean cuisine. Learn about dietary stuff. If don't know what fats are good, and what carbs are good, you have a problem. For instance, a homemade chicken breast with salad w/ an olive oil vinagrette would probably be healthier and cheaper than a lean cuisine.