Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-23-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Vodka

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
RB,

wyborowa, rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The masked man is correct. Very smooth, very good. I'd say it's probably a little better than GG, and in my area, cheaper too. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Thanks for the suggestion, diabolical one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you buying it? The liquor stores by my house both stopped carrying it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 PM

the liquor warehouse about a mile from my house in Alpharetta has it.

Lucky me.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:11 PM

I had Absolut one day and then the next day went out and got Skyy. I definitely believe that the skyy was no nearly as harsh and smoother. What you are saying is this isn't possible though so I guess I have to do them at the same time to tell. :shrug:
Old 12-23-2005, 02:25 PM

I like Grey Goose in a semi-spicy Bloody Mary.

Okay, having said that, here is my take on the differences between vodkas, and why I'm drinking in the first place (when I shouldn't).

I can't tell the difference between vodka and rubbing alcohol. It tastes nasty. Pretty much all straight alcohol tastes nasty to me.

When I can tell the difference is the next day. Cheap vodka means a hangover. Pounding head, throbbing, aching, beat up, "I'd rather die than drink again" feeling. The more premium brands leave me feeling okay. Not 100%, but not ill, either.

Up until last November (2004), I'd never really drank at all. I got diabetes young, and grew up with an alcoholic stepfather, so I equated alcohol with alcoholics.

Someone suggested vodka as a good painkiller if one wanted to avoid prescription painkillers and added sugar. I tried it out, and it worked.

The pluses are that vodka is a fantastic, short-term painkiller with no added sugar for people with diabetes.

The minuses are that it is very, very short term. Pills last a lot longer. It also still messes with my blood sugar somewhat, although putting it into a drink with V8 helps out a lot. It also just doesn't agree with me. I'm simply not much of a drinker.

I'm fortunate, in a way, because I don't have an addictive personality. Someone on OOT last year warned me about using Vodka as a painkiller, and illustrated some personal stories, which were horrific and scared me into thinking about what I was doing.

Try as I might, I just couldn't become addicted. I can take it or leave it. Yes, I know exactly how fortunate I am.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had Absolut one day and then the next day went out and got Skyy. I definitely believe that the skyy was no nearly as harsh and smoother. What you are saying is this isn't possible though so I guess I have to do them at the same time to tell. :shrug:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he is saying that it isn't possible, he is saying that these particular people cannot reliably tell the difference.

I am sure that each vodka has its own characteristics and that if you taste them side by side you wil notice them. Identifying them by taste alone is another story.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:32 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

Differences in taste between brands

Many vodka consumers claim they can tell a difference in taste between different brands. To test this ability the ABC News program 20/20 [1] conducted a non-scientific survey of 6 individuals aged 21-40 who sampled 6 different brands of vodka. There were 5 different super premium vodkas ($30-$60, 750ml, 2005) and a mid-priced vodka, Smirnoff ($13, 750ml, 2005). At the beginning of the survey the participants were asked to name their favorite vodka brand; four individuals chose Grey Goose ($30, 750ml, 2005). After sampling each of unmarked vodka samples "straight up", five of the six testers chose the same vodka as their least favorite sample. They were all surprised to discover that they had selected Grey Goose. When the 6 brands were mixed into a cosmopolitan mixed drink (3 parts vodka, 1 part triple sec, 1 part lime juice, & 1 part cranberry juice) they were mostly unable to differentiate between the brands. The suggestion was made to select the 'house' or inexpensive vodka next time one orders a vodka based drink. In another recent blind tasting done by New York Times food and drinks critics, classic Smirnoff topped the list; second and third were vodkas from Poland.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 PM

Ciroq is the best out there, but kinda pricy. Tastes so good on the rocks.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

Differences in taste between brands

Many vodka consumers claim they can tell a difference in taste between different brands. To test this ability the ABC News program 20/20 [1] conducted a non-scientific survey of 6 individuals aged 21-40 who sampled 6 different brands of vodka. There were 5 different super premium vodkas ($30-$60, 750ml, 2005) and a mid-priced vodka, Smirnoff ($13, 750ml, 2005). At the beginning of the survey the participants were asked to name their favorite vodka brand; four individuals chose Grey Goose ($30, 750ml, 2005). After sampling each of unmarked vodka samples "straight up", five of the six testers chose the same vodka as their least favorite sample. They were all surprised to discover that they had selected Grey Goose. When the 6 brands were mixed into a cosmopolitan mixed drink (3 parts vodka, 1 part triple sec, 1 part lime juice, & 1 part cranberry juice) they were mostly unable to differentiate between the brands. The suggestion was made to select the 'house' or inexpensive vodka next time one orders a vodka based drink. In another recent blind tasting done by New York Times food and drinks critics, classic Smirnoff topped the list; second and third were vodkas from Poland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That doesn't suprise me.

The power of suggestion is strong. Penn and Teller did a thing on their show where they had people tasting different types of bottled water. Supposedly one came from glacier, one from Alaska, one from a spring, etc. Meanwhile they were filling all the bottles with water from a garden hose. Still people were remarking how great these waters were and noting the different tastes of each one.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Deleted: someone else beat me to the Wiki quote.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:20 PM

Emmitt,

I was referring specifically to the vodka claims mentioned in the threads. There are definitely certain vodkas that people can tell apart more easily than others.