Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Anyone tired?

Well dtbog you are right, maybe "advice" was not the right word. Here is the thing; I play poker as I said, 5 to 6 times a month with awesome people that sadly I only see at the poker table. I also win about $500 to $800 a month, so yes, I can just quit until I get the itch to play again, but what I wanted to know is... Is it common to get tired of Poker and what have 2+2ers done when this has happened? Do you just wake up one day thinking I can't wait to the next game or do you do anything to get excited about the game we all love(d)?

So again my apologies for the word "advice"

DyessMan89

I am in NC where are you?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I mean is that poker isn't a reason to "hang out with the boys" anymore. I'd much rather be doing something else with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I deal with this as well, especially this time of year when everyone seems to get the bug. Not that I don't like breaking out those eBay chips and PokerStars cards now and then, but I would much rather have a few beers and find out what's going on with them.

In a sort of related topic, have any of you found that some of your friends think you're trying to hustle them when you organize a poker night? One said to me a few months ago, "Yeah, let's all go over to your house and watch you take our money."

I didn't like hearing that at all, even though I normally don't do all that great against them for some reason.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 AM

haha yeah I've definately gotten that response before, and it also seems I don't get invited around as often because some of my friends are so scared of me. The old crew I used to play with has since improved their game, although none of them play together anymore (I've moved out of town for work). I think it'd be interesting to go back and play with them again to see what happens.

I personally think my friends overrate me by not wanting to play with me. All they know is that I've been playing for a long time, not that I'm any good. I know lots of golfers who have been playing for almost a decade and still can't break 100. hmmm I guess I'll tell them this!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 AM

I just finished a 2 month break from poker, last time I played I was up $5,500 in like 2 weeks playing 5/10 6max and then I dropped 2k in two days and went insane. After the break, I'm now back to insanity, yesterday I made $1,100 and then busted all of it and then ended a loooooong session up a measly $200. This game is just not good for my mental health.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Yes, I have felt tired in the past. But, for me, it was/is just because I'm a "grinder". At least, I consider myself one.

I only play part time (20 - 40 hours a month) because I have a full time job, but still make a great supplemental income ($1000-$1500/month) bonus whoring and multi tabling the $.5/1 up to $3/6. For me, when the boredom sets in I should immediately stop, but I don't. I end up gambling, throwing my money away (still at low limits).

What really refreshes the game for me though is playing in larger buy-in and entry tournaments (around here and in vegas). When 1st place in these tournaments is larger than my winnings this year it's a huge incentive to me to develop my game.

Also, the last time I went to Vegas (a month ago) I did really well at $15/30 and $30/60 (way over what I usually play) and am dying to try out $80/160 or $100/$200. I attribute my success to paying a lot more attention while playing one hand (than usually 4-8 hands online) and also playing at a limit where I could lose a good chunk of my poker winnings for the year (10-20%).

So what works for me is moving up limits and playing live where a $5000 swing could really affect me and also playing in $1000+ buyin tournaments where cashing could be huge (at least to me). Coming back from Vegas I realized that all the grinding I have done gives me the ability to play in these larger games without feeling like I'm going to be completely broke when I get back.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 AM

One thing I do is reward myself with small prizes. Be a great player is a goal that can only be acheived over a long period of time. I track my play and use rewards for short term results. Presently I buy myself or my wife something for every $300 + the cost of the prize increase in BR.

When I am in a real mental slump I take time off but that has never been more that a couple days. Some nights when I am not sure I feel like playing, just looking at the next prize helps me start. I have also found that some of those nights I play some of the best poker.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the great replies.

I played last night and had fun. I did come in first for a $300 win but I was having fun before that so again I still don't think it is result orientated.

Why was it fun? Well I drank a lot (a lot) and didn't really concentrate on Poker. We talked, told stories and jokes and just hung out while playing cards. I also started a Poker piggy bank at home for fun stuff.
I think one of the problems before was that I didn't really have a BR, since the games are for $40 or $60, 4 to 6 times a month I just took the money out of the bank if it wasn't in my pocket and if I won I just spent it on what ever (but nothing fun) or it went back to the bank. Luckily the losing or winning a few hundred a month didn’t really have an impact one way or another. But now and thanks to some of your post I gave the winnings to my wife and she’ll keep them for a trip or something fun. So it feels like I have a goal and I am looking forward to the next game.

Maybe I’ll go open up my Card Players now :-) Thanks again to all

PS

Giving the money to my wife to hold for a trip was a good idea because now she is even excited about me playing. ;-)
Old 07-29-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd recommend taking some time to think about your reasons for playing, and even think about why you started, and then you should be able to decide whether or not it is a game worth playing for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post