Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Ban the Swastika

A ban would achieve nothing.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:46 PM

It most definately should not be banned, but it won't surprise me at all if the ban gets passed.

IMO the whole reason that it is already banned in Germany is because of guilt. If the German people never have to look at another swastika again, the German people can carry on with their lives as if the Holocaust never happened at all.

Every country in the world has now, or has had its dark moments in history. I think each country should be forced to reflect on those moments every once in a while.

Bubbagump
Old 01-27-2005, 06:30 AM

I don't think it can't be banned. At the most, they can ban swastika drawn in the Nazi fashion.
Swastika can be drawn in many different forms. For example, a slante "S" represents a swastika. They cannot possibly ban all forms.
Besides it being sacred to Hindus, Swastika's can be found on many middle age churches, carved on their walls and painted on the ceilings. What are they going to do, konck down the 1000 year old cathedrals?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 AM

Displaying a swastika doesn't mean you're a Nazi; Being a Nazi means you're a Nazi. Seems as though some sensitive people have forgotten what the word "symbolism" means.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:20 AM

Default European Hive Mentality Seeks to Bully Free Expression

In the USA, we do have freedom of speech (free expression).....for the most part.

In *OLD* Europe, they may claim to have free speech/ free expression but their politicans are getting loonier and their hive mentality is trying to force their moral code on everyone else.

Brigitte Bardot, the femme fatale actress, was fined in France for publicly speaking her mind. LePen, the contraversial French politician, is being taken to court for saying unpopular things. Those who do not like certain types of free speech are using laws to punish their enemies. Europe is self-destructing economically and socially...

In today's WSJ (2005 Jan 27), there is a story of a Iraqi man who wants to vote in Sunday's election. He does not fear possible car bombs but he does fear retribution on his family. But some people consider the elections to be an immoral assault on Islam so they seek to bully the others to obey their wishes to boycott the elections. Tell me....other than tactics(murder vs government fines) what is the difference between these Iraqi thugs and European moralists?

Let people burn their countries flags and wear swastikas. Who cares? I do not. Government needs to butt out of people's lives... But I fear this ban will probably be passed and set the precedent to stifle more free speech/free expression in Europe.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 AM

Default American Herd Mentality Loves Stereotypes

[ QUOTE ]
In *OLD* Europe, they may claim to have free speech/ free expression but their politicans are getting loonier and their hive mentality is trying to force their moral code on everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are using the Donald Rumsfeld definition of "OLD EUROPE" which signifies the "anti-Iraqi war" Europe. I'll have you know that the RumsfELd definition has been patented already - for stupidity.

(Check this link for the definition of stupidity in war.)

Next time, ask for permission to use it.

[ QUOTE ]
Europe is self-destructing economically and socially.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laugh all the way to the bank reading this, where I'm heading to deposit more moolah into my Euro-denominated account.

(I'll give you a discount for making me laugh, too, if you wanna borrow a clip above Euribor.)
Old 01-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: American Herd Mentality Loves Stereotypes

I suppose you'll be laughing all the way to the poorhouse too Cyrus when Europe completes it's self destruction.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:20 PM

I don't think it should be banned in the US, it is a form of speech, etc, but I can think if Germany wants to ban it that would be reasonable.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it should be banned in the US, it is a form of speech, etc, but I can think if Germany wants to ban it that would be reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is freedom of speech only good for Americans?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could quite easily see a ban like this in happening in the States.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very easily... all we need is for enough people to call it "hate speech" and out it goes.