Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 12:30 PM

Default If Hurricane Rita hits Houston/Galveston as a Major \'Cane,

we could be screwed, ala the made-for-tv movie "Oil Storm." When I say major, I'm talking about Cat 4+, and right now, that's only a 25% probability. I'd say the overall probability of a direct Cat 4 or 5 hit on Houston/Galveston is just under 10% right now, but that's a pretty high risk of ruin for our nation. I can't remember any time in my life when we had such a high risk or ruin. You guys don't play poker with bankrolls that allow a 10% risk of ruin, do you. Pray for this thing to fizzle out or head north towards NOLA again. I know that's bad to say, but we are much better off this way.

You can view the FSU model run here (just push "+1" repeatedly and it will give you a frame-by-frame showing intesity and location as it tracks across the Gulf)

FSU Superensemble Model
Old 09-20-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: If Hurricane Rita hits Houston/Galveston as a Major \'Cane,

Nobody outside Houston understands how large of an economy this is. People North of Dallas think we ride horses, wear cowboy hats, and sh*t in the woods. We have to, there is no running water here. It's also a desert, with tumbleweeds-a-blowin.

The truth of the matter is 5.8 million people live here and it's one of the worlds energy capitals, as well as the largest medical center in the world. It's also the 2nd or 3rd largest port in the nation, in terms of annual tonnage.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody outside Houston understands how large of an economy this is. People North of Dallas think we ride horses, wear cowboy hats, and sh*t in the woods. We have to, there is no running water here. It's also a desert, with tumbleweeds-a-blowin.

The truth of the matter is 5.8 million people live here and it's one of the worlds energy capitals, as well as the largest medical center in the world. It's also the 2nd or 3rd largest port in the nation, in terms of annual tonnage.

[/ QUOTE ]

so?

that's not that much really
Old 09-20-2005, 03:54 PM

Yes, 6 million people and the potential devastation of the WORLDS LARGEST MEDICAL CENTER AS WELL AS MOST-DENSELY DEVELOPED REFINERY SECTOR WOULD HURT, you fool.

This isn't like Katrina, whence the nation "lost" a bunch of voodoo-doll makers*, black-magicians, and transgendered bed-n-breakfast owners, as well as a crapload of some of the poorest people in the country.

Little different there, buddy.

Man, I warned kids not to drop out of college to play poker. The next decade is really going to suck when society is forced to teach these bums all the stuff they would have learned in secondary school, had they not opted for the "all-in glory", and fallen flat on their wicker-cowboy-hat-wearing head.

*grossly exaggerated generalization
Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 PM

chill out dude. it's a quote from the beavis and butthead movie when the park ranger says the geyser shoots out over twelve-thousand gallons of water in a single eruption and beavis says as i did above.

as for dropping out of college, my wicker cowboy hat wearing self is graduating in december.

carry on
Old 09-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Good
Old 09-20-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, 6 million people and the potential devastation of the WORLDS LARGEST MEDICAL CENTER AS WELL AS MOST-DENSELY DEVELOPED REFINERY SECTOR WOULD HURT, you fool.

This isn't like Katrina, whence the nation "lost" a bunch of voodoo-doll makers*, black-magicians, and transgendered bed-n-breakfast owners, as well as a crapload of some of the poorest people in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Well, if this is the attitude of all you civic minded Houston/Galvestonians, I think we can do without all of you. And your oil. And your bigass hospital.

If, rather, you are in the minority, then we can just do without you.

Regards,

T
Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And your bigass hospital.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I assure you, the medical center constitutes more than a "bigass hospital". lol.

Plus, you're just mad because the Astros are better than the Cubs.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 PM

Mm. Optimism.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:01 AM

Damn right. Astros own the Scrubbies.

Houston is a kick ass place to live. Sucks that this storm is headed our way.

I live in Clear Lake. They are talking mandatory evacuation for this part of town by thursday night.