Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Not feared!

Okay, I play in a couple of N/L tournaments per week, 8 to 18 people, $10 to $20 buy ins. These games have a pretty regular crowd, so it doesn't take long to figure out that I play really tight, I don't get a lot of action when I am in a hand, but I can pull off a decent bluff every now and then. My question is how can I put "fear" in people...I have the distinct feeling that my bets may be respected, but never "feared". There are some players that no one wants to be in a pot with...and those type players seem to do better in the long run. They either win big or lose big, I am usally the bubble boy or just in the money (3rd or 4th). Is it something that can be learned or practiced...do I need to loosen up? I need some advise to get over this hump.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Not feared!

A hoodie, sunglasses, Party Poker beanie and a Hellmuth
card-protector will demand fear from your opponents.

Oh, and like, read HEPFAP at the table and chuckle too...

-ZEN
Old 12-07-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some players that no one wants to be in a pot with...and those type players seem to do better in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this thinking is backwards...maybe these players are winning players, and thats why the radiate "fear"
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Sounds to me like you play to tight for small SNG type of tourneys. Loosen up a bit a bluff more so they start to think hey he can't always have a hand. Worry less about having a group 1 hand to come into the pot and consitrate on playing well after the flop.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM

That is correct, these players are the winners...they win the big money, or they are out early, and I am seeing that that is better than always being fourth. They put fear in everyone else when they are in a pot.....they are willing to risk it all. I want to be able to add this to my playing, but I am not really sure how.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 AM

Loosen up your play.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 AM

loose players don't strike fear into me...and neither do tight players...good players are the ones I fear, and that has nothing to do with loose or tight
Old 12-08-2005, 12:25 PM

Feared? Yeah, there are a few things you can do. Check-raising the loose aggressive players all-in will scare them and may make them think twice about trying to buy pots. Making reraises when someone looks weak will also scare them. Generally, aggression is to be feared, particularly when everyone believes you've got the nuts.

You say that you play tight but you don't give any indication of your aggressiveness. If you are not pushing the other players around by raising and betting, then why would they need to fear you? If you are aggressive then perhaps you do need to gamble a bit more. From the sound of it I suspect the other players have a pretty good read on you. Time to flip the switch.

Edit: Oh and one more thing (after rereading your post) - you're going to have to loosen up when it gets short handed at the end. If you are too tight you will tend to bubble out or just make the money but never finish at the top.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:17 PM

You actually just answered your own question.

[ QUOTE ]
They put fear in everyone else when they are in a pot.....they are willing to risk it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill or be killed poker is a viable strategy in tournament poker and very foolish in ring games.

Finding the right balance between over the top agression and a weak-tight strategy is where everyone makes the transition from "n00b" to "beginner" to "fair" to "good" to "expert".

I recommend ABC poker until the player is "fair" and working hard to become "good". Mixing it up comes with experience. To paraphrase Humberto Brenes, "In order to live, you must be willing to die." I think he was talking about the need to collect chips before and during the bubble of a major event.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:41 PM

Personally I respect the fear a good calling station instills.

Unlike the sudden rush of adrenaline an aggressive player can instill by suddenly betting, a calling station is more like a slow buildup of tension and a creeping sensation of coming doom.