Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Bush\'s numbers fall after primetime speech

You can google "Clinton Administration Accomplishments" and come up with some very impressive lists like this- only a small portion of which can be attributed to the tech boom.

Two things that come to mind:

Abortion decreased 49%- an all time record. Teen pregnancy rate also plummeted

Welfare was decreased by 16%, less people went on welfare and more people than ever before left it. Compare to the climbing poverty rates you see today.

What I noticed the most though, with the international focus that I have, is the absolutely astounding drop in esteem the world has for us since the Chimp took office. Clinton has statues built of him in countries like Ireland. You'd never see that for Bush- instead you see photos of Abu Ghraib being burned.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Yeah.....The Internet Economy Made Clinton Look Good......

.......until it collapse.

Luckly for the democrats the Hi-Tech/Internet bust occurred late in Clinton's term into early into Bush43's term. The dems have done a decent job of blaming Bush for the collapse of the smoke-and-mirror internet economy.

The stock market rise of these internet companies was a joke. Lots of red ink yet the stocks kept going higher. Luckliy I did not invest too much in these dogs. My 401K funds went down during the Clinton Administration. Under Bush43 they have been going up.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can google "Clinton Administration Accomplishments" and come up with some very impressive lists like this- only a small portion of which can be attributed to the tech boom.

Two things that come to mind:

Abortion decreased 49%- an all time record. Teen pregnancy rate also plummeted

Welfare was decreased by 16%, less people went on welfare and more people than ever before left it. Compare to the climbing poverty rates you see today.

What I noticed the most though, with the international focus that I have, is the absolutely astounding drop in esteem the world has for us since the Chimp took office. Clinton has statues built of him in countries like Ireland. You'd never see that for Bush- instead you see photos of Abu Ghraib being burned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when people quote stats like that and then believe that the results are do to the Prez himself as if he issued a decree "teens, stop your boinking" and "bums, get a job", and it was so. Of course, one can make an equally valid case that the Repub's winning of the House and later Senate was a huge prompt to ensuring welfare reform was taken seriously as this was a hot button issue with the right in the 90s. But no, let's give Bubba all the credit. Let's give him credit for all the "jobs he created" too, even though the Prez doesn't really create jobs, the business sector does, and there wasn't much in particular the Prez did to help in that area. Face it, there was no significant internet use before 1992. The vast majority didn't own a computer and those who did mostly didn't have the net. Now every most homes have one if not more, most have interent, most use it for commerce, many have opened internet-based businesses, most everyone has an email, etc. ALL this occurred in the 90s, and it was independent of govt action. So please stop spouting results of this boom as evidence of Clinton's achievements. And of course, much of the internet economy was a paper tiger and was bound to fall to earth as real production was not booming like the stock market and speculation was booming.

I'm not a Repub, so this isn't right-wing sour grapes. Clinton wasn't as bad as the right says nor as good as the left says. Not everything that happens in this country is the result of the Prez's actions, nor should it be. We are a nation of 300 million people, not a kindergarten class waiting for the teacher to tell us what to do.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

....when has a Democrat really helped anybody elevate their life yet minorities keep flocking to the polls to vote for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.. Have you heard of the Civil Rights act, the Voting Rights act or Medicare/Medicaid?

Now, you can disagree with these programmes, but if you want to understand how the democrats have a significant hold over Minority voting preference, (despite the Dems historic support for/tolerance of segreation up until the 1960's), this is a pretty important place to start.

To be fair, the Repubs have had one President recently who did practice fiscal conservatism- Geroge HW Bush. He raised taxes to reduce Reagan's deficit, which was a sensible and statesmmanlike decision which got him kicked out of office. His son hasn't repeated either his fiscal prudence or his electoral failure.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love when people quote stats like that and then believe that the results are do to the Prez himself as if he issued a decree "teens, stop your boinking".

[/ QUOTE ]It's called sex education, and it sharply contrasts with the increased funding Bush has put into an "abstinence only" sex education system which studies show do the exact opposite of what it hopes to do.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love when people quote stats like that and then believe that the results are do to the Prez himself as if he issued a decree "teens, stop your boinking".

[/ QUOTE ]It's called sex education, and it sharply contrasts with the increased funding Bush has put into an "abstinence only" sex education system which studies show do the exact opposite of what it hopes to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. President's don't provide sex education (except with cigars). The primary means of sex education in schools is the result of decisions at the local school board level or state level at most, not national policies instituted by the Prez.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
President's don't provide sex education (except with cigars). The primary means of sex education in schools is the result of decisions at the local school board level or state level at most, not national policies instituted by the Prez.

[/ QUOTE ]A large portion is decided federally. Clinton cut funding for abstinence-only education. Bush increased it. If I recall correctly Clinton increased funding for the effective kind of sex education. Bush decreased it.

He also has influence over things like this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...916EST0776.DTL
Old 09-18-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. President's don't provide sex education (except with cigars). The primary means of sex education in schools is the result of decisions at the local school board level or state level at most, not national policies instituted by the Prez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presidents might not do Sex ed- They do sign Welfare refom bills and Sex education legislation. all the data suggest that Clinton's actions in both areas had a signifincant impact on the Teen pregancy rate-

Full disclosure- I work in a area where we want to replicate Clinton's success in the UK- so if Clinton didn't do anything, I could have no job!