Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Default High Overpair vs. Possible Set

Sorry, I don't have the converter!

When do you know when your TPTK, or high overpair will be cracked when someone hits their set. Was playing last night on .5/1, dealt AA UTG, called $1 then re-raised a normal $3 raise to $9 as there was one caller on the initial raise. Two players called. Pot was $29. Flop was 7,10, 2 with 2 of the same suit.
Having $70 going into the hand, villains had $110 and $130, neither was too tight. Checked to me, I raised $25 (have $35 left), 1 fold, the BB reraised me all in. I was too committed at this point to fold wasn't I?
He had hit his set and it held.
When do you play your AK/AQ or AA/KK aggressively on the flop when you hit and should have the best hand? When do you pull back when only a set or two pair can beat you (and 2 pair shouldn't beat you if you raise large enough to make it -VE preflop)?

Does anyone have any guidelines on when to fear a set? Or is "that poker"? As in, you gotta play your good cards aggressively?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: High Overpair vs. Possible Set

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I don't have the converter!

When do you know when your TPTK, or high overpair will be cracked when someone hits their set. Was playing last night on .5/1, dealt AA UTG, called $1 then re-raised a normal $3 raise to $9 as there was one caller on the initial raise. Two players called. Pot was $29. Flop was 7,10, 2 with 2 of the same suit.
Having $70 going into the hand, villains had $110 and $130, neither was too tight. Checked to me, I raised $25 (have $35 left), 1 fold, the BB reraised me all in. I was too committed at this point to fold wasn't I?
He had hit his set and it held.
When do you play your AK/AQ or AA/KK aggressively on the flop when you hit and should have the best hand? When do you pull back when only a set or two pair can beat you (and 2 pair shouldn't beat you if you raise large enough to make it -VE preflop)?

Does anyone have any guidelines on when to fear a set? Or is "that poker"? As in, you gotta play your good cards aggressively?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pet peeve of mine. You didnt "raise" $25 on the flop. You "bet" $25 on the flop.

You have to bet there and theres no way you can fold at that point. I would probably reraise more than $9 though preflop. Other than that theres not much you can do.

Ive had AA busted by sets twice in the last 2 sessions so I know how you feel.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: High Overpair vs. Possible Set

Iceman,
Sorry, it's actually a pet peeve of mine too, i don't know why I keep calling it a raise when it's a bet.... Yeah, i was thinking of maybe raising higher preflop, but i wanted to keep them around for a while and i figured a large overbet woulda scared them too much... Maybe next time i'll bet a little more, maybe $12 or so....