Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: What\'s With This DERB?

[ QUOTE ]
This is an excellent point. DERB has mastered the art of floating. I have been in many of games where the DERB type floater picks up pot after pot because everybody keeps missing. For example, when I whiff with QJs I basically just give this guy the pot because I know I won't be able to push him out. Floaters have always been a thorn in my side, I haven't played against DERB but I think I would have a hard time against him if he is "floating".

I'm really glad you posted this because I had never really thought about that metagame aspect before. If I ever decide to try a floating strategy calling down light will be a key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't really consider DERB a floater. Floaters don't open raise 8Ts in early position and then 3 bet the AJ8 flop.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 AM

Default This metagame talk is silly

In the party games it only takes a a coupe out of line plays to gain all the metagame effects. I am far from an overaggressive player and I would say basically no one ever folds. I would not get any more benefit by three betting the turn when I am drawing dead. I regularly get called down by 99 on a AJ2xx board after I cap preflop. What more can I ask for?

Derb is not winning becasue he gets all this value that others do not. NO ONE FOLDS on Party.

I have personally played about 10k hands with him and I find him to be an OK player. My guess is that he is a small winner who has run rather well (I have him as a significant loser since the first thread). I actually do think he plays his hands as if he could see others hole cards though. If you had such ability, you would be sure to make a lot of totally dumb plays when way behind in order to 'prove' you weren't a cheat. His EV would be so high (8BB/100?) that he could spew very frequently and it wouldnt matter. All that said, I do not put a lot of weight on the cheat theory.

Additionally, my experience at the tables with him leads me to think that he is an OK players who is lucky. He sucks out a ton. I have not noticed that he wins an unusual number of pots uncontested. I have not noticed that people give him unwarrented action either.

He plays most every day, just go watch him. I think you will decide that there is no secret sauce there that enables him to have a 3BB earn.

These threads are starting to be like an urban myth. His play is readily observable, go watch...
Old 11-08-2005, 04:17 AM

I attempted to put derb into my buddy list on party and got a message that says no such buddy id exists.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I attempted to put derb into my buddy list on party and got a message that says no such buddy id exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you search for DERB??

If so, DUMB
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 AM

Guess so. Keep it to yourself then. Didn't know it was a code.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 AM

If you spent any time at all in these threads, you should have picked up his name by now.

But instead of telling you to go look....

Brizganc
Old 11-08-2005, 09:25 AM

I rarely lurk or post on this forum. Sorry. I've been searching for derb's screen name for about an hour now and I haven't found it. Anyway it doesn't seem to be a big secret, but if nobody wants to let me in on it I guess I'll just have to soldier on without it.

Just wanted to observe him or her for myself to see what all the fuss was about. And why Sklansky would be interested.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 AM

Default DERB\'s screen name

It's been said many times before...DERB's screen name is brizganc.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely lurk or post on this forum. Sorry. I've been searching for derb's screen name for about an hour now and I haven't found it. Anyway it doesn't seem to be a big secret, but if nobody wants to let me in on it I guess I'll just have to soldier on without it.

Just wanted to observe him or her for myself to see what all the fuss was about. And why Sklansky would be interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who's Brizgnac? Derb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But instead of telling you to go look....

Brizganc

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 AM

Hey d00ds.. anyone know DERB's screen name?

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]