Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 PM

Default 2 tabling more profitable than 4 tabling? Line check.

I was playing just 2 tables the other day since I only recently moved up to 400 NL about a week ago and want to get used to it first. I found that when I was 2 tabling I really was able to better play my opponents and make plays that usually I wouldn't do when 4 tabling. Some of these plays could have blew up in my face if I was wrong but I felt confident with my read and went with it, maybe im being results oriented, or maybe 2 tabling does make some of these plays easier to make, not really sure which it is. Here go two hands I did when two tabling that I rarely would do with 4-8 tables running.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($715.30)
Hero ($613.60)
BB ($492.50)
UTG ($739.37)
MP ($356.90)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $26</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $20.

Flop: ($60) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $100</font>, Hero calls $55.

Turn: ($260) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: ($260) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $120</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $380

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kh Kc (two pair, kings and queens).
Outcome: Hero wins $380. </font>

This opponent had been VERY aggro and very willing to raise you if he felt you were weak, and he'd shown some of the hands. He also had seen me check raise people a few times where he probably felt I did not have it. So during this hand when I check raised him, I felt like there was a good chance he was reraising me because he felt my check raise was weak. So then I thought "well, if I were him and someone called my reraise on this flop and I didn't have the queen, id probably be done with the hand because bluffing another bullet would be very costly if wrong". So I decided to call and see if he'd fire again on turn after i've already represented the Q.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

UTG ($420)
MP ($157.40)
Hero ($399.60)
Button ($409.70)
SB ($951.62)
BB ($413.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $11.

Flop: ($32) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($32) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $182

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins $182. </font>

This opponent i'd noticed had led out and bet with mostly all of his good hands and he had shown a check raise earlier in the session which I remembered. So during this hand I knew he was potentially looking to check raise me so I checked the flop, then on the turn he checked again.. and since the board still looked rather raggy and I checked behind him on flop, I didn't think he'd be risking me checking behind him again on the turn for another free card if his hand was indeed that strong. If his hand was that strong I felt he would have led the flop or at least the turn since I checked behind on flop. But since he sprung into action on the turn and with the cards that were out there, this seemed to me as though he was just trying to check raise with nothing again. 4 tabling I don't think I could have done this play, personally.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: 2 tabling more profitable than 4 tabling? Line check.

what good hand would you ever play like you did hand 2? checking a drawy flop and then 3 betting a completely blank turn screams air to me and probably to any half decent opponent. i think that 3 bet will get called a lot by any pair.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Well, that also raises the question... what good hand checks the flop and then the turn as well. If he has a really good hand like a set is he going to check again on turn after i've already checked behind him on the flop? That would be too risky in my opinion. But since I have position on him I could definitely have a good hand. On flop if I hit a set, checking behind him on the flop could be a way to induce a bluff by him on the turn, but when he checks again on the turn thats when I would need to bet (if i had a good hand) and if he raises me, I would also reraise. I can see someone playing a good hand this way due to position, but cannot see someone playing a very strong hand the way he did OOP.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:15 PM

nothing wrong with identifying your strenghts... sometimes less is more.

I feel I do better playing on two seperate screens... helps me stay independently focused on each game.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:31 PM

Hand one is ok I guess, I can see how his line is fishy.

Hand 2 is horrible chip spewing.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:07 AM

Hand 1, I make real raise on flop (fold to reraise), check turn, play poker on river.

Hand 2, bet flop, then be done.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Hand 2 is horrible chip spewing.
Well i'd never do this usually when 4 tabling, but I really felt he would fold to a reraise with garbage. Unless his hand was really strong I couldn't see him calling that raise or attempting to reraise again out of position like that. Seems that the general consensus though is that i'm wrong.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:51 AM

If you think he thinks your weak on the flop then bet and once he cr's you you can repop him. No need to give him a free turn.