Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Commerce 100-200 AQo

Same table as my first hand, like around an orbit later. I haven't played a single hand since the first one either. BB is the very tall white guy with a shaved head that wears sunglasses and says "nice hand" to everyone that wins the hand. Probably the guy that thinks very hard about every decision.

MP1 limps, I raise AQo, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets out, MP1 folds, I call.

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets, I raise, BB thinks for 2 seconds and calls.

River K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, I insta-bet...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Commerce 100-200 AQo

i really don't understand the bet on the river... if he calls you on the turn with a pair, the second king sure as hell won't scare him from calling you again... if he was drawing, he won't call anyway... maybe you'll get a call from a8 or aj or something, but for the most part, it looks like the guy is calling with anything that beats you and folding anything that you beat... i check the river and take the free showdown...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:38 PM

Kind of hard to tell much from your description of BB, but I doubt many players at this level will fold a better hand on the river here after calling the turn. In a game with high levels of distrust, which I assume is the case here, I would just fold the turn.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:51 PM

I do not agree with the other posters that you have no fold equity here at all. He could have called the turn still thinking he was behind (to a K or and overpair to the flop). OR, if he is thinking a little more could call the turn to make sure you are not bluffing, yet plans to fold the river to your bet (since you would take a free showdown if you had no pair). I actually think the latter play is a bit more expert if you know your opponenet is not making deperation river bluffs (which I find generally to be true among TAGs online).

Now you take your thinking to his level and bet the river anyway, knowing he may release now (since he knows you wouldnt bet the river w/o a hand). I think this is a good play - but only if your opponent may be thinking as I described.

Generally speaking I do not think there are a ton of players playing that way (and certainly not any average players). Most players are calling the river if they call the turn. IMO, more advanced players may fold the river though (this is in fact a play I occasionally make vs. specific opponents).
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 PM

You insta-bet... anytime the dreaded insta-bet occurs it usually results in a lost hand and some more lost money. The bettor can't possible fold any hands that are better then your hand. The next king will certainly make it even more likely of a call IMO.

The play on the end is to check and hope he missed his st8 draw. Otherwise you are just spewing chips... b/c if he can make a call on turn with a pair he certainly is going to call on the end. The fact that you put a raise in on the turn makes the pot larger which increases the likely hood of a call down in a heads up pot as well.

Unfortunately, I believe you lost this hand... but you won the first hand. Which was fortunately a bigger pot...
Old 07-21-2005, 08:31 PM

I agree hero may have some fold equity. I have no idea how this game plays but couldn't BB have a pair/draw combo hand like 78s that he may release on the river?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:55 PM

Many only somewhat thinking players decide on the turn whether or not to call you down in this spot if they have any pair. It is true he could have a draw, but you don't gain anything by betting...I disagree with those who think you have a non-negligable amount of fold equity. ESPECIALLY with the K pairing on the river. This tends to make people (usually rightfully so) even more skeptical that you caught a K on the turn.

Just my 2c - Jags
Old 07-21-2005, 09:07 PM

I play it the same. I like it.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:19 AM

I think I'd want to have a specific read that he lays down in spots like this, before making this river bet.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:45 AM

I honestly like the play.

You took advantage on the turn of a scare card and you raised implying you had AKo or even AA.

When he leads the turn and then you raise and he thinks for 2 seconds and then calls and doesn't reraise....

he usually has a hand like

or quite possibly a straight draw.

If you bet on the river and you put him as a thinking player he'll usually lay all those hands down believing you have an over pair. If he reduces your hand down then the only think he can beat on the river is a bluff.

I like the play and I'd do the same thing...

Good hand.