Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-27-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Am I a Nit?

From Urbandictionary.com

[ QUOTE ]
nit
gambling term. usually found in poolrooms. Refers to:
1. Someone who's so afraid to lose a bet that they have to be coddled and convinced for an hour that they're going to have a great time and probably win, too. Eventually they may play, but by the time they get on the table the stakes are so low the table-time will eat any winnings you make.
2. someone who won't play unless they have a guaranteed sure win.
3. someone who'll squeeze a dollar 'til george's eyes pop out of the paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 3. I would add that a nit believes that he is maximizing his profits by playing ultra-tight and criticizing the actions of others that he disagrees with. In fact, most nit-like move are -EV over the long term [whether in terms of money or quality of life].
Old 12-27-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[AK, limp, this hand sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
GHAHAHAHAH. WHAT A NIT!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: nits, donks and magoos

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And still noone can give me a definition other than to say you are one. Is being a nit about attitude, poor play, ego? What skills do I need to work on in order to be the best nit I can be?

Also, what is the diffrence between a nit and a donk? Maybe I am a donk too???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ok, enough fooling around.

A nit is a non-useful idiot troll. They tend to ruin the game by backseat dealing, being generalized jerks, and of course NIT-picking every little thing, particularly when it's to their advantage to do so. They also rarely do much for the action at the table, more likely killing it than adding to it. A nit may or may not be a winning player, but if they are, it's usually not by much.

"Donk" is much different. A donk is just a person who is playing badly at the time, whether they're usually a shark or a minnow. Donk was adapted in the modern age from the more ancient latin term [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] "magoo," which is a person who can't even read their own cards, let alone the board. Both donk and magoo can be adapted into nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and probably, if you're redneck enough, prepositions that you could end a sentence with nine of. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave it to Al to step up with a straight forward answer. Upon review, I am going to say I fail to qualify for nit status.

I am a dealer so I definalty do not "backseat deal". I am generally only a jerk on the internet, less chance of being beaten up this way. I don't tend to say much at all at the table, but rather just listen and watch. You learn much more this way. As far as action, if I am running well, I will gambool it up for sure. If I am getting cold cards or missing flops I tend to tighten up maybe a bit to much. But as far as that goes, winning poker is as much about saving your money when you don't have the best of it. Its all one long session.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Urbandictionary.com

[ QUOTE ]
nit
gambling term. usually found in poolrooms. Refers to:
1. Someone who's so afraid to lose a bet that they have to be coddled and convinced for an hour that they're going to have a great time and probably win, too. Eventually they may play, but by the time they get on the table the stakes are so low the table-time will eat any winnings you make.
2. someone who won't play unless they have a guaranteed sure win.
3. someone who'll squeeze a dollar 'til george's eyes pop out of the paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 3. I would add that a nit believes that he is maximizing his profits by playing ultra-tight and criticizing the actions of others that he disagrees with. In fact, most nit-like move are -EV over the long term [whether in terms of money or quality of life].

[/ QUOTE ]

The results are in, its official. I am NOT a Nit.

1. I am usually the one offering prop bets to my friends on just about anything I can think of at the time. For example, I recently bet a friend $100 on a game of connect four.
2. No, not me.
3. I am hardly tight, I toke dealers and waitresses nickels for their service instead of dollars. If I am on a big winning streak dealers and waitresses LOVE me. (I work for tokes too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Glad we cleared all this up.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The results are in, its official. I am NOT a Nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what jason_t says
Old 12-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Another thread just reminded me of another nit move:

If your friends are going to go do something fun and invite you along, do you say no because your 1/2 nl game is too good?

Also,

OP, You are definitely a nit.

-Craig
Old 12-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Limping with A/k does not make you a nit. Limping with A/K, then crying like a baby when A/9 outflops you makes you a nit.

You also are a nit if you:

Spend more than 4 seconds debating whether to post a blind or not.

Spend more than 4 seconds arguing over whether you are supposed to post a blind.

Spend more than 4 seconds arguing over whether you should table your hand or not.

Call the floor for a ruling which has no bearing on the actual outcome of the game.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 PM

Check this thread.

You might be a NIT
Old 12-27-2005, 09:50 PM

When you sit down at the table, look around. If you can't spot a nit, chances are it's you.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I have control of your emotions go make me a sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Petty and unlikely to illicit the expected response.