Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: How long could John Elway throw a football in his prime

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In his biography Bo Jackson claimed he could throw it over 100 yards.

On those old beer ads from like 5 years ago I remember them saying that Elway throw a baseball from homeplate for a homerun over the wall which is probably like 120 yards but thats a baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is complete BS. If Bo jackson could throw the ball 100 yards we would all know it because a coach would have had him throw a hail mary at the end of the game when his regular QB couldn't get it to the endzone. Use some common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does a team need to throw a ball 100 yards -- even on a hail mary? If your regular QB can throw the ball 80 yards, that's usually more than enough to get a final throw into the endzone. It's not like it's a regular occurence for a team to be back at their own 10 yard line for the final play of the game.

Use some common sense.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:48 AM

Please tell me one of the few people who could do it.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Kordell Stewart throw it like 70 yards in the air on the last play of that Colorado - Michigan game back in the 90's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're shortchanging Slash, he threw that ball 77 yds to Westbrook, not Carruth. Threw it from his own 23 and Westbrook caught up to it at the goal line. One of the greatest throws I've ever seen.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:55 AM

Not longer than Randall Cunningham.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On those old beer ads from like 5 years ago I remember them saying that Elway throw a baseball from homeplate for a homerun over the wall which is probably like 120 yards but thats a baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is complete BS. If Bo jackson could throw the ball 100 yards we would all know it because a coach would have had him throw a hail mary at the end of the game when his regular QB couldn't get it to the endzone. Use some common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does a team need to throw a ball 100 yards -- even on a hail mary? If your regular QB can throw the ball 80 yards, that's usually more than enough to get a final throw into the endzone. It's not like it's a regular occurence for a team to be back at their own 10 yard line for the final play of the game.

Use some common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever watched an NFL game? Regular QBs can not throw the ball 80 yards. Most teams need to get to their own 40 before they even try a hail mary. Am average NFL QB can throw the ball 65-70 yards if they really get off a good throw. The pass itself happens a couple yards back of the line of scrimmage and has to get all the way to the end zone.
The Kordell Steward hail mary against Michigan is generally conssidered to be the longest Hail Mary completed and it was a 64 play that needed to be tipped by another WR to reach the endzone. It traveled 73 yards in the air accoring to ESPN Classic .
The Flutie play was a 48 yard TD that travelled 60 yards in the air.
Bo Jackson saying he could throw a football 100 yards is BS.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:22 AM

Plenty of guys can throw a baseball for a homerun. Probably every decent rightfielder and catcher in the league, and most pitchers.

And there is no way John Elway could throw a football 100 yards in the air. Real NFL teams will at times use a strongerarmed backup for longer Hail Mary plays, so if Jackson could really throw it 100 yards he almost certainly would've been asked to do that from time to time. More importantly, if he could throw it 100 yards at all he likely would've been able to throw it 40+ accurately and he would've been an NFL QB.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:34 AM

I played QB in college and had an average arm. I could throw it a little over 60 during practice, so let's say 65 during games when adrenaline is pumping through me. I would say Elway was just under 70 in normal conditions.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For most people, throwing a football 60 yards through a goal post is hard enough. Try doing from your knees! For Kyle Boller, it's a cinch.

"It started a year or two ago when I was messing around with buddies on my team and decided to see how far I could throw while on my knees," Boller said. "Somebody bet me lunch that I couldn't throw the ball through the goal posts from the 50-yard line while on my knees. So I got down on my knees, chucked it, and let's just say he took me to lunch the next day. Ever since then, I've done it to show off my arm strength, and I never heard of anyone else doing it.

"I did it again during my Pro Day when a coach asked me about it. So in front of all the scouts and some media, I went out there, got on my knees, even tossed some grass in the air to show there was a slight breeze in my face, and I just reared back, twisted my hips a little bit, and let it go and it came out nice. I actually got a little standing ovation."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<---"OMG AWESOME, let's draft him"

ahahahahha I love that story.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:53 AM

How much you wanna make a bet he can throw a football over them mountains?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no Bo Jackson did claim he could throw it 100 yards. If you want to call Bo Jackson a liar fine but dont insult my intelligence because you lack the reading skills to properly grasp my post.