Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Mastering NLHE Question

I'm reading Mastering NLHE by Fox and Harker.

Anybody have thoughts on the 87s hand example on p. 110. They are advising a fold when closing the action on the turn b/c the pot is only offering 4.05-1 odds on a 4.75-1 OESD. Given the assumptions they are making, I would think the implied odds you get when you hit, bet and get called more than compensate for the shortfall of immediate pot odds (esp. if you hit with a 9 in this situation).

Does anybody who has read this book agree with this fold? Or am I missing something here?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Mastering NLHE Question

In that particular hypo, there will be no more betting if you call since both of your foes are all in. So there are no implied odds.

Moreover, the book is incorrect to assume you have a full 8 outs. There is some chance that one of the players has a flush draw plus a pair or gutshot, etc. On the other hand, they may not have a flush draw.

Since there is a chance but no way to tell, you disocunt your outs. If no one had a flush draw, you have 8 outs. If someone has a flush draw, you have 6 outs. Based on that, I would argue that you have 7 effective outs with 1 to come.

Finally, the book is even more incorrect to assume there are 46 unseen cards. Against 2 foes when you give yourself effective outs based on a range of hands they might have, you are really dealing with 42 unseen cards. So, your odds are 35:7 or 5:1 against.

The answer remains the same: can't call.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Mastering NLHE Question

Thanks. You are of course correct; I hadn't realized that the opponents were all in. Easy fold here.