Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 02:36 PM

Default 89s cold call from sb

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Villain is 60/35
Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: 89s cold call from sb

I like the rule that when thinking about calling a raise from the SB, don't do it unless you'd coldcall (or raise) from the button.

From the button I'm ditching 98s for two bets, even with 3 others in the pot, so I'm definitely ditching this here.

As it was, postflop, I think I would have checked the flop, the button would have bet, I would raise chasing out the other two guys (moot in this case, as they folded), just in case those guys hung around with overcards (as they will often do on a flop like this). Would have protected your fragile hand.

Turn fine, River you're probably screwed but I can't help but call. Guess is 77 (useful information to have about his preflop raising patterns) or TT+ (in which case you should feel even more like a dip for calling that preflop raise of his).
Old 02-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Fold preflop. You have very bad absolute position (the small blind), very bad relative position (the preflop raiser is to you right) and a very bad hand.

And a not very big pot.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM

nice read on the 77. I posted this hand because I think I'm getting my BB defense better. But I have no idea what to do in the SB. What is the benchmark vp$p from sb, and fold sb to steal.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:09 PM

I need suited broadway cards or medium PP preflop to make this kind of call from the SB.

Since you called, a CR is an absolute must on this flop to protect your vulnerable hand.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Oh.. also, can someone explain the "on your right, on your left" terminology.

Cuz the BB in this hand is on my left... but he has position on me. Dose that make him on my right. The button is on my right because he has position on me. Does that mean everyone is on my right. I get sooo confused. Whenever I'm reading about position and something is said like you want x player on your right and y player on your left I never know what that means. I iz dumb.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice read on the 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what he had, then? Not too surprised given the numbers you gave him. Thinks he's Phil Hellmuth or something.

I'm super loosey-goosey in the SB (41% VP$IP, SB defense of around 15%) -- so, loose when I can just complete, not so much when I've got to call raises. This is at 5/10, BTW. I'm (er, thinking about) tightening up at 10/20 until I can figure out what the hell is going on . . .
Old 02-14-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm super loosey-goosey in the SB (41% VP$IP, SB defense of around 15%) -- so, loose when I can just complete, not so much when I've got to call raises

[/ QUOTE ]
Two limpers you make a "loose call" in the SB. BB 10% fpr. Raises. Do you call or call it quits?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:07 PM

i c/r the flop
Old 02-14-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm super loosey-goosey in the SB (41% VP$IP, SB defense of around 15%) -- so, loose when I can just complete, not so much when I've got to call raises

[/ QUOTE ]
Two limpers you make a "loose call" in the SB. BB 10% fpr. Raises. Do you call or call it quits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Closing the action and getting 7:1 on my call, I almost always call unless it's complete junk. Getting 5:1 on my call, I've moved to folding some of the crappier loose calls (mostly medium offsuit connectors).