Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Hurricane relief, what you can do - Xpost from General Forum.

Hey Everyone,

I've been talking with my college roomate who had just begun attending Tulane Law School in New Orleans. He was lucky, and was able to evacuate before the hurricane hit, but there were literally thousands of people who were stuck in the city when the dam broke and the city flooded. Additionally, the coast of Mississippi has literally been devastated as well.

I wish there was something I could do - but I'm in NY and donating my time is impossible. Also, sending materials is expensive and inefficient. So, in the spirit of
this thread , I played 1 extra hour of poker for the month of august, and I'm donating that hour's potential earn to the American Red Cross's Hurricane Relief Fund.

Donating is easy - I hooked up my Neteller account to my checking account, so I cash out the 1 hour's worth of $ into my checking account, and use my bank card to donate it online through the Red Cross's secure donation online form.

According to the "Session Notes" Tab of pokertracker, my hourly earn for august was $185.84, so $186 is going to the Red Cross for the month of August.

I would encourage you to do the same. If you don't wish to give to the red cross, give to another charity of your choice - most of them have an online method for depositing funds.

Hopefully we can get a group of players together and make this a monthly thing, donating to whichever need is most pressing. I realize that individually it will not be much, but, like preflop mistakes - a little in abundance makes alot.

Thanks,

Surf
Old 09-04-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Hurricane relief, what you can do - Xpost from General Forum.

Good stuff. I will look into this too. I have a regular job too, so my Poker winnings are usually for toys and such...this seems like a good way to give back. I can't remember a time when I didn't want to watch the news on TV because I would get depressed...what a tragedy.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:34 AM

bump for the nighttime crowd.

Surf
Old 09-05-2005, 03:46 AM

Yeah, and one hour is quite do-able.

Lets get everyone who makes a donation to post in the official donation thread.

Surf