Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 08:07 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default A Hand Vs TheBrownEyes

TheBrownEyes is a little too loose, pretty aggressive but kind of straightforward. he has played for a long time so I'm assuming he reads hands well

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

this is the question. he could definitely have a heart draw, and maybe occasionally fold a small pair. also he is a pretty good player and K rag rag boards is a great bluffing board. the pot is pretty big, the board is pretty bluff-friendly for a good player/hand reader, and he is pretty aggressive, so I really don't want to give up. he's also tight so there's a chance he gives me credit for something

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

I would have bet if I hadn't picked up a gut shot. should I continue with it?

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

my play throughout has been consistent with a flush and I'm getting 4-1 that he's either bluffing (because I have to fold otherwise) or he believes me
Old 08-25-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: A Hand Vs TheBrownEyes

Why not follow through on the turn?

*edit* didn't read post fully 2nd part of my question was dumb.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not follow through on the turn? To make it look like you have a flush draw and can raise river if missed?

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my impression, but ive never played with TBE so i dont know his/her folding standards.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I have ADD so even though we've probably played a couple of thousand hands together, I don't know either. I planned to follow through, but in the back of my head I thought he could have a set and it would really suck to get checkraised with a gut shot
Old 08-25-2005, 08:27 PM

I don't think you're gonna get checkraised too often. I don't think he coldcalls with 33 here and he might not with 55 too. If you're gonna make this play on the flop I would follow through and hope he lays down a hand like KJ or something. If he had like 77 he's probably folding to the flop 3bet.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:28 PM

oh and I think I like the river raise. Bluff raises rarely work in this game but the way you played your hand looks exactly like a flush draw. Just hope he doesn't have QJ or AJ hearts or something.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:31 PM

he's got like a 37 VPIP (though lately a bit tighter). he's folding 33 in the SB? not a chance
Old 08-25-2005, 08:32 PM

I was taking a dump and reading Improve Your Poker and there's a chapter on bluffing. one of the points he makes is that bluffs are much more effective when you're representing a hand than when you're just representing strength. I was meaning to post this (mainly for the flop play) but that book just reminded me of this hand, since my play is so perfectly in line with a flush draw.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:36 PM

I really like your play and would be interested if it worked.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like your play and would be interested if it worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

it did but it doens't much matter. I think against a decent player in a pot this big a bluff is mandatory. I'm more concerned with my flop 3-bet