Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 PM

Default AQs against LAG

History: Button is a seriously aggressive LAG. He loves to show his underpair big raises that everyone folds to. He has been raising with a wide range of hands. Puts "Action Al" to shame...lol. MP1 has raised every big pair pre flop he has had, that I have seen anyway, and doesn't seem to slow play or try to trap anyone.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (10 handed)

CO ($10)
Button ($14.80)
Hero ($33.65)
BB ($9.75)
UTG ($24.20)
UTG+1 ($13.85)
UTG+2 ($8)
MP1 ($22.30)
MP2 ($32.50)
MP3 ($12.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $1.1</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1.95</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls $1.70, Button calls $0.85.

Flop: ($6.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $12.85</font>, Hero calls $10.35, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($36.80) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: ($36.80) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $36.80
<font color="green">Main Pot: $36.80, between Button and Hero.</font>

I will post results later.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Re: AQs against LAG

Your play seems fine to me. The flop bet is reasonable given that you were the preflop raiser, but is there a specific reason that you underbet the pot? It looks a bit weak, and may have been the reason that your opponents came over the top. But given that you were raised and re-raised on the flop, the final call is fine, pot odds warrant it regardless of whether the MP1 calls or not.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:41 PM

At first I was going to say the reason for the bet size was that given the table history, that bet size was enough to take it down right there. But after thinking about it for a few mintues before I relpied, previous bets were a lot larger in relation to the size of the pot and I didn't take that into consideration. You're right, it was weak either way.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 PM

He wound up having J10 and taking it down with a pair of jacks. A few short hands later I got most of my money back from him and the rest from others.

I also got in to a big discussion with most of the table about how I was ahead pre-flop and on the flop. I gave him a link to twodimes but he couldn't make sense of it. Most of the table was on his side. I gave up and said this is why you will always be playing .10/.25.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:36 AM

A few notes.

Preflop- I have to say min-raising is terrible here. This guy is playing too loose, so punish him- make it $4. Min-raising gives him odds to call with anything. Either call it or make a real raise.

Flop- You love getting your money in on this flop.

Turn/River- They are irrelevant as far as hand analysis goes, so no need to post them.

Post-hand- Don't lecture a .10/.25 NL table on proper poker play. You made a mistake letting him see the flop cheap, he played the hand just fine (assuming he had reason to believe he was ahead of MP1). Button may have been a little behind you on the flop, but it is so close that the dead money in the pot makes this +EV for both of you.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:17 AM

Preflop- that’s what I was trying to do. Knew that was the right play just didn't know how much. Need more experience with no limit. My line of thought was I wanted him to stay because I was presumably so far ahead but I wanted him to pay for it.

Flop-Agreed

Post hand- I wasn't really lecturing. I'm not the table "pro" type of person who points out mistakes. He told me I was wrong for calling his all-in with a draw. I can't see how in the world he would think he was ever ahead of either of us preflop or on the flop. Was it at all conceivable that we could of had over pairs or a higher kicker? I mean I did bet and MP1 raised on the flop with something.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:18 AM

There's not very much that I like about this hand. There's no reason to reraise out of position with AQ. There's no reason to bet on a draw against an opponent that loves to raise with anything at all.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:25 AM

Its always a bad idea showing off your knowledge at the poker table, most people don't like playing with someone they perceive as being better than them.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:57 PM

To review:
1. Raising with AQs out of position against a LAG was bad.
2. Minimum raise was even worse.
3. Betting into a LAG with a draw(semi-bluffing)was wrong.
4. Under betting the pot(weak semi-bluff) into two people, one of which is a LAG, is even worse.
5 Calling the all-in was correct because of pot odds.