Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Playing AKs for a stack???????

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut in NLHE. Just don't be wrong.

Full Tilt 200 NL.
Bunky has 210. Villain has 130.

Folded to villain in CO who makes it 7 to go. Button folds. Bunky calls in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB folds, we are HU. He has no read on me from what I know. Ive see him get out of line once or twice.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, he bets 15. I smooth call.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, he bets 20. I smooth call again.

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet into him for the exact amount of his stack (Like 80 at this point)

Ive been seeing a lot of players using the large river bet on a busted draw move lately. Not that I was totally trying to imitate it, but It didnt hurt to tey it. I was sure I had the best hand when I bet and would really hate for him to check the river behind.

Also my bets could either be a draw or a monster. It sure could be a slowplayed set or just as easily a busted heart draw.

Like the play?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Playing AKs for a stack???????

1. i like the play if you think he'll call with a weaker ace

2. this move (overbetting the exact amount left in someone's stack) is one of my favorites, so long as you want a call. it's a clear spit-in-your-face-i-dare-you-to-call-me move and it nearly always gets me paid off, even with hands which dont usually get paid off much (I river my flush, or make my obvious straight). just better be sure you're ahead (a weak-tight player isn't the best target, but it works ok against such a fellow if you've been doing other nasty things to him like bullying his blind and check-raising all-in on draws).

fim
Old 09-22-2004, 11:15 AM

I put him on a weaker ace just from previous experience with him. It sure would be a crime to let the river get checked through when he may very well call off his stack with a worse hand. Of course if I'm wrong........ [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re:results

he had AJo and immediately left the table.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:08 PM

It's perfect.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:46 PM

Agree with fim. Exact stacking is great if you WANT a call, terrible if you don't.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:02 PM

I don't like it and here's why.

If he has an under pair and you bet: He'll almost always fold fearing the ACE.
If he has an under pair and you check: He'll sometimes check behind but I'm guessing he bets with more frequency than he calls a large river bet.

If he has a weak ace and you bet: He calls some of the time and folds some of time..Duh
If he has a weak ace and you check: I think he bets a majority of the time and you can CR him all in probably committing him to the pot. Sometimes he wil check behind but I think this happens less often than him folding to a large river bet.

If he has crap and you bet: He'll always Fold.
If he has crap and you check: A large majority of the time he will check behind but a small percentage of the time he will bluff and you get extra chips.

So I like a check in the long run. You have to have a heart draw don't you?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:39 PM

I disagree with most of this analysis. It's more likely that a player will call with an underpair/weaker ace than bet with it on the river. If he does have nothing, then the check would be best, but its far more unlikely than the underpair/weaker ace.

If he does put bunky on a flush draw, then why would he bet the river? There is no point to him betting if bunky is just going to fold.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:42 PM

This line is excellent
Old 09-22-2004, 08:05 PM

You realize bunky's last bet was 80 dollars into a 85 dollar pot and that means his opponent would have to call all in? Are you telling me he's less likely to bet a weak Ace than call an all in with an underpair? Are you telling me you would call an all in with KK or JJ in this spot? How often would you bet AJ on the river in this spot? If you tell me you would call with KK/JJ more often than you would bet Ax you have to be nuts.

"If he does put bunky on a flush draw, then why would he bet the river? There is no point to him betting if bunky is just going to fold"

Bunky looks like he's drawing but he could easily have a have a pair like Qhxh and that would make me want to bet a hand like JJ or TT or KK even more on the river.

In either case I also like betting a smaller amount on the river like 20-40 dollar. I'm thinking this med sized bet get paid like every time by any ace and a good portion of the time by any pair.