Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Is my set no good ?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Thoughts ???
Old 08-05-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Is my set no good ?

Unless I have a read on EP I cap this every time... what does he limp/3-bet with preflop?? I was under the impression that only donks try this move...?

I think you see 77 or AK/AQ here at least half the time, I get the turn capped and then call one on the river
Old 08-05-2005, 07:17 PM

First, 1/2 is micro, just so ya know...

You have to cap this preflop everytime unless you are positive UTG is only going to 3bet w/ AA or KK, and there are very few opponents that fit this description at 1/2 (or 2/4 or 3/6).

On the turn, I'm putting villain on AK, AQ, AA or KK. Given that AK is the most likely of these (given no read otherwise), bet/call the river. This smells like AK enough of the time to bet out the river, anyone disagree with this?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, 1/2 is micro, just so ya know...

You have to cap this preflop everytime unless you are positive UTG is only going to 3bet w/ AA or KK, and there are very few opponents that fit this description at 1/2 (or 2/4 or 3/6).

On the turn, I'm putting villain on AK, AQ, AA or KK. Given that AK is the most likely of these (given no read otherwise), bet/call the river. This smells like AK enough of the time to bet out the river, anyone disagree with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is last to act... I call one on the river, you make one bet when he shows AK/AQ, and lose two when he reraises you with KK/AA
Old 08-05-2005, 07:29 PM

At first thought, I agreed with you. It smelled like AK. But villain doesn't raise the flop. That seems unlikely if he has AK. 77 would play just like this postflop, but not even microlimit players are that in love with mid PPs. My vote is AQ, KhQh, or JTs, because raising preflop with suited connectors is fun! KK seems less likely here, although it's possible -- most 1/2 players who are capping KK preflop will never let the flop go without a raise.

If the third flush card doesn't come on the river, I think it's ok to bet out and call a raise. If it boats, I'd bet out and 3 bet it when the 77 plays back at you. You're not facing KK enough to make this a bad play.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first thought, I agreed with you. It smelled like AK. But villain doesn't raise the flop. That seems unlikely if he has AK. 77 would play just like this postflop, but not even microlimit players are that in love with mid PPs. My vote is AQ, KhQh, or JTs, because raising preflop with suited connectors is fun! KK seems less likely here, although it's possible -- most 1/2 players who are capping KK preflop will never let the flop go without a raise.

If the third flush card doesn't come on the river, I think it's ok to bet out and call a raise. If it boats, I'd bet out and 3 bet it when the 77 plays back at you. You're not facing KK enough to make this a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did notice that he limp/3-bet preflop, right? I think this vastly changes his range from what you assume it to be

So anyway, like I said, he doesnt 3-bet the river without AA/KK, and its around 50/50 I would assume without reads that he has AK/AQ or AA/KK, so raising this river leads me to only one conclusion: You hate money
Old 08-05-2005, 10:47 PM

I guess it depends what makes the boat if it rivers out that way. On further thought, you're right about 77, it wouldn't play that way preflop. I still think JT would. UTG l/r can mean AA/KK, yes, but I still think you're facing the straight or AQ/AK often enough to pull a 3-bet.

i hate money. but i love chips. and i'd win chips over the longrun with this play, i think.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 PM

Well - river was a blank. Bet/Call and he showed the dreaded pocket KK
Old 08-06-2005, 12:55 PM

I've been noticing more and more that the UTG limp/re-raise is actually AK,AA, or KK. In MP it's more likely some oddball hand, but in EP it's usually the goods in my experience. I'd cap turn and call if he bets on the river.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:10 PM

without reads there is no way that i am not capping preflop. I would still lead the river and if i was raised i would STRONgly consider 3 betting. I think that even though you will see kk aa and jt sometimes most 1/2 players will raise any comobo of 77 aq ak and some would even raise kq.