Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Crazy hand with crazy stacks...

$1/$2 NL 6 max.

I have 22 in the BB. Button raises to $4. I call. Me and him to the flop. I have ($550), he has ($300). Flop is K-2-8. I check. He bets $8, I raise to $22, he calls. Turn is a Q. I bet $50. He raises all-in. What's your move?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Crazy hand with crazy stacks...

Unfortunately, with no history between you and villain, we can only speculate what hands you're ahead of and what you're behind.

** Most reasonable hands you're ahead of are: AA, AK, KQ, JJ, and J10.
** Hands you're behind include: KK, QQ, 88.

Now we need to break it down. I could go through all of possibilities of AA, AK, KQ, JJ, J10 v. KK, QQ, 88...obviously, the former group of hands would outnumber the latter. But the distinct thing that gets my attention is how villain pushes on the turn after you check-raised him on the flop.

When you c/r'd him on that uncoordinated flop, I think there's a strong liklihood that he put you on a set or AK. When the Q fell on the turn, that opened up some more possibilities...such as two pair for KQ, or OESD for J10. But the fact that he pushes behind your pot bet on the turn means that he's likely to have a very good hand. Especially since he's pushing a healthy stack against the chip leader at the table. I'd put villain on the following hands, in order: QQ, 88, KK, KQ, AA. In most cases you're a huge underdog. (** If villain only had about $100 left in his stack, I'd call his push 4 out of 5 times **)

Now let's look at the numbers and return. After he pushes on the turn, it would cost you about $275 to call his bet to win a pot of roughly $600. Getting only slightly better than 1:1, and the strong liklihood that you're behind (based upon my read), I'd say it's an easy but reluctant fold.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 PM

looks like 88 most likely. I would fold unless I had a read that he was loose.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:35 PM

Is he anything spectacular? If just a typical player, i throw up in my mouth a little and call.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:55 PM

I don't get what this minraise business before the flop is. I think that KK or QQ in a 6 handed game is going to raise considerably more than that pre-flop (unless he's one of these weird people who don't realize that it's NO-limit poker and only ever bet the minimum). I see KQ as a very reasonable holding, although I don't think that AA, KK or QQ are very likely (QQ especially because after a c/r on a K high board, he has to realize that he's drawing to 2 outs). 88 is the only hand which I think he could realistically have that you're behind, however, his $8 bet into a $10 pot on a drawless board seems like TP rather than a set. I would say that KQ seems like the most reasonable holding for villain and I would probably call the push, although I don't have much experience with playing in such deep stacks, so take what I have to say with a few grains of salt.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:29 AM

You could be behind, but I think the hands most likely to minraise pf are AA and KQ, so I call.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:01 AM

Call, and start counting your money. In the absence of a read, this is a very loose aggressive game and he can have literally any two cards. He's probably drawing dead. This is a no brainer unless it was a flush card.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:12 AM

id bet the flop and base the turn call entirely on the guys stats. if he has loose enough stats to suggest he is capable of making that horrible move with a hand you beat, then go for it.

as for the flop, c/r would seem alot better if the button made a standard raise instead of that small one, and if the stacks were alot smaller. if you bet out, it increases the chances he gives you big time action with a hand like AK or QK, so you will practically never have to lay the hand down anywhere. part of the reason you are thinking about laying this down is because you showed so much strength on the flop right? however, this info is only useful (and not detrimental) if you know he is capable of processing this information.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:47 AM

Who puts you on a set here, you check raised pot on a totally uncoordinated board, this is much more likely to be a top pair style hand testing the waters. Why would he overbet the turn with a set himself on a pretty much drawless board, giving you the best possible opportunity to get away from your obviously strong made hand.

His line just doesn't look like something that beats you. I would put him on this order of hands, AA/KQ/AK distantly followed by QQ/88/KK.