Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Hold\'em Scumbags

I used to experience this "hate" emotion when I played gin for money. It didn't usually come from distain for the person themselves, simply a byproduct of continued, intense focus directed at a specific person. At the end of games, I'd find that I had developed this incredible dislike for my opponent. The "hate" actually sharpened my focus. I've never had that feeling at a poker table, probably because I don't focus nearly as hard or for continued periods of time.

Needless to say, I was much better at gin than I am at poker.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:48 AM

They're not "scumbags", they're just idiots, and in case you haven't noticed, they aren't just at holdem tables, they are everywhere, and there is a lot of them. There are a hell of a lot more irrational people out there than rational people. These people don't sit down to play a game of skill with an element of chance, they sit down to gamble. They might as well be playing roulette.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:33 AM

Bah.

After reading the above posts I think half the people here ritually prescribe therapy or medication. F' em.

People who said your 'hate' is wrong, are wrong. Your 'hate' isn't hate. It is a useful tool as long as it doesn't last more than a few minutes after you get up. I mean really, you are looking at 5 little text boxes on a screen, perhaps 5 cartoonish avatars. Can you really 'hate' a cartoon and a bit of text?

Are you worried you will be consumed by a long-term, wrenching hate for Cobra47, BaBeeDoll, AcesFool, jbooger, blah blah blah... No. The moment you get up you forget all about them. You leave a note for next time you sit.

As for not hating them at the other games, I think the answer is fairly evident and found in the styles. If you know what you are doing, those games are a little more 'wait and see'. In short handed hold'em there is plenty of room for pushing, stealing, getting jammed by people doing the same. In Omaha, if you have half an idea, you understand that an actual hand is going to be required most of the time, so you are content to wait. No aggression necessary, no 'hate' necessary.

Anyways... 2 cents from someone who doesn't agree.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:33 AM

you are probably right about players that play games other than hold'em having more class. Poker used to be a classier occupation, but then hold'em came to pass, with the whole WPT thingie et all ad nauseum.

I am working on a new "rant" called "lowest common denominator: the hold'em craze"

it will be out when I am ready to release it. It will be posted on NVG and psychology forums.

Obviously, it will be kinda "ranty." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But hopefully some of us will be able to retain a bit o' "class" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 11-05-2004, 02:46 AM

Default misanthropy

[ QUOTE ]
What if you just hate all people because they're breathing. Is that having issues, too, or is it just good ol' misanthropy?

[/ QUOTE ]

"misanthropy"

Good word. 'Splains how I feel at times. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Stupid @#$%@#$ W@# @#$% @#$%%@#$ @#$%*&^ breathing my #@$ @#$% air!

al
Old 11-05-2004, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People who said your 'hate' is wrong, are wrong. Your 'hate' isn't hate. It is a useful tool as long as it doesn't last more than a few minutes after you get up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because most people play better poker when they are emotionally disturbed, right? Anyway, it clearly lasts longer than a few minutes after he gets up. It obviously lasts long enough for him to troll about it here.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean really, you are looking at 5 little text boxes on a screen, perhaps 5 cartoonish avatars. Can you really 'hate' a cartoon and a bit of text?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently so. Hence the concern.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you worried you will be consumed by a long-term, wrenching hate for Cobra47, BaBeeDoll, AcesFool, jbooger, blah blah blah... No. The moment you get up you forget all about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forget about them... then you go and post a thread about them. That makes no sense.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:14 AM

I love those WPT reruns.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:19 AM

You just need to learn to love a guy who puts it all in on the flop with a pair of fives.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:36 AM

So why isn't stud sweeping the nation and eclipsing all other poker games?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So why isn't stud sweeping the nation and eclipsing all other poker games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, maybe it's because if you play like a clown you lose a lot of money real fast.

Regards Mack