Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 02:01 AM

Default ESPN pushing Jesus

Is it me or is ESPN doing to damness to push Chris Fergurson to the spotlight during their WSOP broadcast?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Re: ESPN pushing Jesus

They are showing a lot of Chris Ferguson, but I think they're doing it because he is an interesting character (his look, card tossing, etc.), and therefore makes for more interesting fluff pieces than the average stone-faced poker pro.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:53 AM

Aye, not many people on the tour are as camera friendly as him either. He is articulate as well, which seems to be a rarity.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:48 PM

You could definitely do much worse than to pick Ferguson. He's an interesting character without being a total jackass and he's quite intelligent and well-spoken. Not to mention he's a legitimately great poker player.

Now, how about someone making issue with ESPN's infatuation with Dutch Boyd doing all those lame chip tricks? He's the anti-Ferguson and has none of Jesus' attributes going for him.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:52 PM

He also made it pretty far in the main event. He'll probably be much better known after this year's broadcasts are done.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:08 PM

They're pushing all of the great pros, most of whom were also featured last year as well. Makes sense, as most viewers feel some connection with people that they recognize. This was especially important in the first episode, which really featured a number of lesser known players at the final table, besides David Chui.

As annoying as Norman Chad can be, and looking past the fact there turns out to be so many all-in hands due to the fact each episode is only an hour, I think they've done a great job with their profiles, and they're certainly making it very entertaining television for non-poker players.

This can only have a long term positive impact.

I'll be very interested to see their Raymer profile when it airs! The final event coverage is going to be great I think.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:51 PM

Nolanfan54: "This can only have a long term positive impact."

Funny you should say that because yesterday--driving home from work salivating at the thought of something other than last year's WSoP or another WPT or CelebPolka event--i thought to myself, "The number of times ESPN has rerun the first 2 events in one week already reminds me of how overplayed *Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?* became." I really think that there can be too much of a good thing. I fear they're running this poor horse to death--or maybe the more apt metaphor is Mark "The Bird" Fidrych (hometown hero here in Detroit) who has come to symbolize the dangers of overextending a rising star.

The obvious difference between Millionaire and Polka, though, is that anyone really can play polka anytime anywhere for real money, play money, no limit, pot limit, spread limit, etc. Just get on the Internet and go. Millionaire didn't have that. And as everyone knows, you can't convince somebody that they're no good at polka just by taking their money every time they sit down. It's easy to convince people they don't know trivia, though--there's no luck involved with Millionaire to trick the fish into thinking they can win it.

The difference between Fidrych and Polka on TV? This one's harder for me. Maybe it won't seem hackneyed. Maybe non-enthusiasts will become enthusiasts long enough to make it another bizarre but regularly televised ESPN spectacle (like the national spelling bee or World's Strongest Man).

I'm afraid, though, that this polka on TV boom won't last more than another year or two. (You heard it here first, folks. So flame me now, but remember me later.)

"I am the god of hellfire. And i bring you . . . FIYAH!"
Old 07-14-2004, 04:13 PM

Is the polka typo intentional? Makes my head hurt.

Poker doesn't compare with Millionaire at all. As you mentioned, you can't play Millionaire at home or online for money. That show burned out because they forced too many NEW episodes down the public's throat too quickly.

I don't think poker's reruns hurt it at all. Just increases the potential exposure to people who may have missed an episode, on a network that has far fewer viewers than an ABC or NBC. As long as they have new episodes each Tuesday, I think they can keep it fresh.

Our society has a lottery mentality. People want to become rich without having to actually do anything. They see poker on TV, and people winning all that money, and think there's no reason they can't go online and do the same thing Moneymaker did. Of course this isn't true, but it doesn't matter. The more this stuff airs, the more consistently new players will become interested in playing the game.

As for Fidrych, didn't he hurt his arm? That will certainly cause your star to fade, not being able to pitch and all.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:32 PM

Isnt he also the last big name to win the BIG ONE?
Old 07-14-2004, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isnt he also the last big name to win the BIG ONE?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who thinks Carlos Mortenson is a "big name"...which I believe is about...nobody. Even if he is a respected pro who's made a WPT final table.

-Edge