Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 PM

Default So I called a raise with 73s...

PokerRoom $10 rebuy. 28 left. 20 get paid. I'm not really interested in just slipping into the money. I wanna win.

I am one of the bigger stacks at the table with about 19000. Blinds are 500/1000.

I post the big blind. One guy with 9000 open limps in MP. Another guy with 18000 in late middle position makes it 2000 to go. Folded to me, and I look down and see 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I think I know what the late position raiser has, and I'm getting pretty good immediate pot odds. I figure I might stack the guy if I flop a monster. So I call.

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check. MP bets 2500, more than one third of his remaining chips. Preflop raiser pushes for his remaining 16000.

I call...

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: So I called a raise with 73s...

Push over the top

Edit: Yeah, I like it.

I got busted on a hand like this.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:37 PM

You can't just say you've got 9 outs to the flush and another 5 outs to 2 pair or a set. Your flush outs might be good but it's not the nuts so you have to discount it a bit. And you're outs to a 2 pair or set might not be good against a made set. So if instead of saying you've got 14 outs, let's say you have 10 outs. That mean's you're about a 1.8 to 1 dog. You're getting 1.6 to 1 assuming MP folds. So with my assumptions I think it's a fold. Even if you add back an out or two I think it's a fold.

Additionally, I think it's a fold pre-flop. Yes, it's cheap. And if you were the last to act then calling makes sense. But with one limper you have to be at least a little worried about a limp re-raise in which case you just threw away 1000 chips when you really don't have that much.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:53 PM

Good bad or ugly, I was with you until the push. I'd much rather be pushing than calling with these cards, it may be weak but I disappointedly let this one muck. Too bad because it'd be AWESOME for table image to show this hand down this close to the bubble.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 PM

You need to lead out at this flop big in order to maximize your fold equity. Not doing so was the big mistake on this hand.

Leading out for the size of the pot is probably the play to make.

The preflop call is close...if it's wrong it's not REALLY wrong.

Will